Painting Gold Luster Dust On Royal Icing??? Help!!

Decorating By whitneysmere Updated 19 May 2008 , 12:07pm by MessiET

whitneysmere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitneysmere Posted 17 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to paint letters and the scales of justice for a law school grad cake, but it doesn't look very good. I'm painting gold luster dust with clear almond extract on white royal icing. It just looks kind of gold, but not real shiny like thoses I've seen on here.

If you have any suggestion, tips or words of wisdom, I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you!!

6 replies
KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 7

What about painting another layer of gold?

or.....I know that people have painted Pearl Luster over top to make their decorations shiny

....and others have steamed their flowers (hold the flower in the steam for a few seconds)

Hope this gives you some options.

Kristine

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 7

If you tint the RI a rich yellow when mixing it up, it helps makes the Luster Dust really "pop." I also use "super gold" - seems to make a very brassy bright finish. Hope this helps....

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 7

I've found gold hi-liter dust to be the most brilliant. If you need a good place to get it, just e-mail me, [email protected]

Jen icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

Ditto on the gold highlighter dust. Nothing compares! Ditto also on tinting your RI yellow or gold before painting.

The only suggestion I don't ditto is the steaming. That works for gumpaste, but could spell disaster with royal. icon_biggrin.gif

Lucy0618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucy0618 Posted 18 May 2008 , 5:12am
post #6 of 7

TO USE LUSTER DUST YOU NEED SOME EXTRACT THAT CONTAINS ALCOHOL SUCH AS LEMON EXTRACT NATURAL...OR VODKA. TO PAINT JUST USE A LITTLE EXTRACT ENOUGH TO MAKE IT THICK BUT NOT TO THICK AND NEVER TO THIN. ALMOND WILL NOT GIVE IT IT'S TEXTURE TO PAINT. HTH.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 7

Ditto with Diane and Jennifer, you need to use the hi-lighter dust. It gives you a truer metallic color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%