Competition

Business By CreativeCakery Updated 19 May 2008 , 5:36pm by chutzpah

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

Mike...where in michigan are you opening a kitchen??? are you renting out space or is this just for you??? inquiring minds...

It's in my upstairs apt. Now that being said. It's not as easy as poof I have a comm. kitchen ready for inspection. It took a good two months of phone tag with the city. Then waivers had to be filed. Two weeks ago I was "at" the Dept. of AG, and HD telling me no. My Senator's office took care of that hurdle. I still don't have clearence from AG, or HD, but I at least have documentation that it can be done under the right circumstances. After I get some more tile down I'll get after the AG again. Then it's how long will the paperwork take.

Mike

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #32 of 34

Good luck, Mike! We are lucky here in Ohio; from what I read from other CCers I don't think we have as many hurdles getting licensed.

You know, I had a breakthrough a few minutes ago reading an email from a customer, and with the prices I quoted her (AFTER I raised a bit), she is getting an 11x15 sheet cake and 4 dozen mini-cupcakes for $65!! That is insane!! Looking at all that cake all together and seeing it for so little made it clear to me that I need to do some actual hard-core math!! How can the talented lady in town with a very nice website charge only $1.75 for a bc serving?! Does she make up for it in quantity?

Remember the poster some time back who said her mom always encouraged her to price higher by saying "try going out to a nice restaurant and ordering everyone a delicious, homemade specialty dessert for only $2 a serving!?" Well, I think that's going to be my mantra. I am SERIOUSLY going to take a long, hard look at my prices since I am getting a slight increase in business now. It will only be harder to change them later, right?

I feel like a fool. icon_redface.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #33 of 34

Creative Cakery, I checked out dessert prices in local restaurants and am armed with that info for whenever I have price resistance. O'Charlies, Olive Garden, Bravo's, etc..... anywhwere from $3.99 to $6.99 for a slice of cake.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #34 of 34

Like my lovely and talented seester always says: I would much rather do one cake for $200 than ten cakes for $20.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%