Pudding To Boxed Mixes

Baking By cakecrazy1129 Updated 16 May 2008 , 12:50pm by awolf24

cakecrazy1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy1129 Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:09am
post #1 of 5

I've heard a lot of people talk about adding pudding to boxed cake mixes to make them better but no one specifically said what you needed to do. Do you just add a box of pudding mix? If so, what size? Also I want to make my box cake a little more dense so it will stand up better, what can i do?

4 replies
Blazer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blazer Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 5

I add a box of pudding mix to my chocolate cake mix, and vanilla pudding to a yellow cake mix. It does make a denser cake and not a cumby to frost the chocolate cake. I do the following on chocolate:
1 choc cake mix
1 small box choc instant pudding
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil

bake as normal, works for me and is pretty easy

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 5

I only use Duncan Hines cake mixes and I do add a small box of pudding mix, add an extra egg, use oil as called for on the box and I use milk instead of water. It does tend to make a moise, dense cake.

Other brands like Pillsbury and Betty Crocker sometimes already have pudding in the mix so I'm not sure if people still add pudding mixes to them or not since I do not use them. Does anyone have advice for that situation? It seems to me like it would be a mushy mess to add more pudding....

Blazer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blazer Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 5

I use the DH mix also I never have really tried the BC or Pills before

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 5

Another recent thread with the same topic:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-585763-.html

Apparently you can add pudding mix to any brand mix, even if it already has pudding in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%