Tell Us About Your Portfolio!

Business By dttcb Updated 21 May 2008 , 7:10pm by CoutureCake

dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 14

I am setting up a table at a MOPS meeting next week. (I am a member of this group) I will have a few small (6, 12, 18 count) cupcake bouquets for display/eating, but I will also have my portfolio.

I wanted to hear what others include (or don't include) in their portfolio...

What type to book do you use? What kind of information? Is it artsy or plain and simple? Do you use a few small books or one big one? Include letters from clients?

I'd love to hear what others do! What works and what doesn't?

Thanks!

Debbie

13 replies
yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 14

I've never set up a table anywhere but I've heard of people using a laptop with cakes set up as a slideshow. I would also suggest a photo album of some kind too.

I have just a photo album that holds 200 pics (from Hobby Lobby). I have it divided - children's b'day, adult birthday, etc. so people don't have to look through the whole thing for a particular cake (ie children's b'day).

cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 14

I'm actually in the process of creating mine now, and I'm doing both a hard-copy set in a nice binder (with the clear plastic over it to insert my best cake and logo on the front of the binder) as well as a PowerPoint presentation with basically the same information.

I do all of my cake designs on the computer, so I've always got my laptop around, but I figure if I decide to set up a booth for a bridal show or other event, if I'm busy with one propsect on the computer, I'll have something for someone else to look at too.

I'm trying to make mine fun, match my "image" while still keeping it uncluttered and classy. I have a serving size diagram, cutting diagrams and I will have references and letters from clients available in a separate section. Everything will be tabbed and easy to find.

dttcb Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the tips so far!

What else???

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 14

I have a binder for wedding cakes another for kid's birthdayparties and a third one wiht misc photos like sports themes, religious, baby shower, grduations etc.
My wedding album includes some wilton pictures, mostly the ones I'd like to make but hadn't have a chance, and all mi pictures. I try to print them 8x10 if I can so they look nicer. Each photo has the details of the cake like size, price, deposit amount fo the pillars and stuff.
HTH

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:00am
post #6 of 14

Any suggestions for those of us who are in the process & don't have enough pics yet? FYI- NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! loan your books out to ANYONE (even a relative) I did & never got mine back!! Now I'm having to start all over! icon_sad.gif This is embarrasing since I've done many, many cakes but have nothing to show anyone.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 14

I'm thinking of making a book on shutterfly.com. I think it would look really professional. I may have a coupe done for a show I'll be doing soon. I'm not a big fan of the scrapbook style books. I think all the other decorations can be distracting. I like more of a clean style.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 14

My albums are nice Creative Memories albums (all the same color), but I have only 1 8x10 or 1 5x7 per page with absolute minimal "froo-froo". Too many photos per page is very distracting and the Brides can't really appreciate any of them! The cakes are divided into construction styles: stacked, pillared, etc.

I have an "idea" album that is a 3 ring binder-same color as albums-with page protectors. The 8x10 pics are ones I have done, Wilton pics and other pics from magazines,etc with designs that I am able to duplicate. (I do make note that these cakes were designed by other sugar artists!) I number the pages, so that I can make note of it on the cake contract.

And every several years I update the book with new pics and clean out the old, out-of -style ones! We've gotta stay with the trends! icon_lol.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 16 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 14

I have thought about getting the one from shutterfly or snapfish, but that sseems limiting. you would not be able to add or subtract photos, change prices of anything.

I use 2 books, one is an idea book that has other people's pictures.

The other holds all of my pictures. I have it divided into shapes and type. Rounds, Squares, then cookies, cupcakes, truffles, then groom's cakes.

for the poster that asked what to do for those that don't have many pictures...I suggest getting dummies and making practice cakes. You get 1) practice and 2)pictures. You can also just decorate 1/2 one way and turn it around to decorate the other half a different way.

To the OP, i suggest less embelishments and more pictures. i would have a book that you can add to and subtract from.
HTH Julia

dttcb Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:31am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for all of the GREAT tips!

(especially the one about loaning out your book! icon_cry.gif )

I'll be sure to add my latest pics to my book, and hopefully get a lot of new contacts tuesday night!

Thanks!

Debbie

AnnieM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieM Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:30am
post #11 of 14

How about a digital photo frame that switches pics every few seconds? Similar to the laptop, but the right frame could add a touch of elegance...

Annie

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 14

As far as traditional albums go, I use regular photo albums. The wedding cake books are a full sized sheet with a page that holds a vertical and horizontal photo so each wedding cake has 2 pics on the same page. I have a tag on each page that tells the cake sizes, how much they serve and where the wedding was located. On the birthday cakes, I have 3 big books full that hold 3 pics on each side of each page. I try to keep them grouped together by theme. I don't put any sizes or prices on these because I have 5 different sizes of sheet cakes and that picture/design can be put on any of them, tiered cakes can be any size as well, so I don't want them to think they can only get that type of cake for $xx.oo.
Just what works for me.
Lori

dttcb Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

I had my laptop showing a slide show, as well as my album for people to flip through and ask questions about specific cakes.

I had a lot of people coming to see my work. It was great! I hope it results in orders!

Thanks Again!

( I really like the digital photo frame idea!!)

Debbie

thumbs_up.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 14

I have a 12x12 scrapbook that I use for mine. I think the important thing is to not only include photos of fancy cakes you've made but also the simple ones so that brides know that you are willing to take on the simpler orders. The challenge with the laptop idea is what happens when the battery goes dead or you don't have access to electrical outlets at a site. It's a good backup to have the print photos regardless because files can corrupt and computers crash..

I have a mix all the way through that sort of goes on a theme from formal to farm you could say... It's great in that it shows I'm a very eclectic in style so can do a lot of different things.

Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%