Butter Or Margarine?

Baking By topaz176 Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:42pm by Kiddiekakes

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:29am
post #1 of 8

What would happen if you replace a buttercake recipe with margarine??

7 replies
peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:30am
post #2 of 8

It is difficult to answer your question without more details such as the recipeâs mixing method, accompanying ingredients and the margarine you intend to use.

The responses range from âno problemâ to âbig problemâ. icon_smile.gif

Generally speakingâ¦solid, stick margarine with 80% fat is intended to be a butter substitute.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:54am
post #3 of 8

Margine has more water content than butter I do not change one for the other I use what is called for in the receipe.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:20am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

What would happen if you replace a buttercake recipe with margarine??

You wouldn't have a butter cake any more. Butter has a melting point in the 80's. It has a better feel on the palate than margarine does. Butter will leave a clean feel. Margarine will leave an oily feel to the palate.

Mike

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:38am
post #5 of 8

For clarification⦠icon_smile.gif

In the USA, the legal acceptable minimum fat content of both butter and margarine is 80%.

There are âmargarine-likeâ products that people confuse with real margarine. Imperial 65% Vegetable Oil Spread is one of these products.

Margarine can be designed to have an identical mouthfeel as butter.

I prefer real butter; however, if you add lots of flavors and extenders to your âbutter cakeâ, margarine works just fine.
LL

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut123

For clarification⦠icon_smile.gif

In the USA, the legal acceptable minimum fat content of both butter and margarine is 80%.

There are âmargarine-likeâ products that people confuse with real margarine. Imperial 65% Vegetable Oil Spread is one of these products.

Margarine can be designed to have an identical mouthfeel as butter.

I prefer real butter; however, if you add lots of flavors and extenders to your âbutter cakeâ, margarine works just fine.

It's not the amount of fat, it's the type of fat. Different fats have lower melting points. Crisco has a higher melting point than butter has. That's why Crisco will leave an oily feel.

Mike

yffrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yffrank Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 8

Depending on what I'm baking, I will use half butter and half margarine. BUT, I only use margarine that has 1oo calories per serving and 11 grams of fat, which means it has more fat then water. I like Land O Lakes brand, but the WalMart brand is better then most of the leading brands. If you use half butter & half margarine, you will get the great taste of butter and the good texture of the fat content of the margarine and save a little cashicon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 8

I use margarine all the time in my icing recipes.Butter is just too expensive to use at $3.99 lb.I have tried the recipe boths ways and tasted both and there was no real difference to me...I have never had a customer complain about the taste.It all depends on you and personal preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%