"floating" Tiers???

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 13 May 2008 , 6:08pm by summernoelle

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 13

Can anyone tell me how to do tiers like this? Or where to find a thread or site that discusses it? I need to make one for an anniversary party in a couple of weeks. Thank you!!!!
LL

12 replies
mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 13

You should be able to use the small columns and plates and hide them with the roses.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 13

I've used those cheapy Wilton separators (the ones that look like white pipes) and cut them to the size I need.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 13

What about hidden pillars from wilton? you can cut them to size and fit the separator plates.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 13

If you did 4" tiers and used 7" push-in cake pillars, it would leave a 3" gap that would be enough clearance for the roses...

If you made 6" tiers...use the 9" push-in cake pillars.

Depending on the brand, they are easily trimmed to be shorter to reduce the gap

the pillars come in various styles in at least 3 color choices...clear, white and ivory.

make sure you use the coinciding separator plates for the pillars to assure a good fit.

http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=266

http://globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=865

http://globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=365

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 13

Yah! Hidden pillars. I could not for the love of Odin remember what they were called. I have used them several times for those kinds of cakes and they work fine.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 13

I can tell you 3" is way too much space for a single layer of roses. You will be able to see the pillars. I like a 2" gap for that.

summernoelle Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 13

Wow, thanks so much! I can't wait to make this cake, but I've never made one with pillars before.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 13

I did a cake in my pics with the wilton hidden pillars with roses in between the layers. It worked fine and was easy.

good luck!

summernoelle Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 13

Wait, stupid question....
Do I push the pillars all the way in like dowels, then then put the cake plate on the part sticking out of the cake, and then put the next tier on top?
I feel like such an amateur asking that-I just have only made stacked cakes....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Wait, stupid question....
Do I push the pillars all the way in like dowels, then then put the cake plate on the part sticking out of the cake, and then put the next tier on top?

Yes. These are the greatest inventions since pizza pie, to me! Very simple and easy to use. Wish they'd been around when I was struggling to learn cake-building! icon_lol.gif

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 13

Not a stupid question, that is exactly how you do it. Use the little feet on the separator plate to make little marks where you should push in the hidden pillars, push them in as straight as you can, then fit the plate onto the part of the pillar that is sticking out. And of course, don't try to deliver this cake pre-assembled icon_wink.gif

summernoelle Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone-I'll let you know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%