Sealing Cookies

Baking By topaz176 Updated 18 May 2008 , 2:28pm by JudyDP

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 21

Did anyone try to seal the cookie sandwich bags or cello besides tying it with a curling ribbon?

20 replies
topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #2 of 21

Anyone?????

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 21

I never have, but I thnin I remember seeing a post a while back where someone did...

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 21

I use an iron to seal my cello bags. Sometimes I use a sticker also or ribbon. I always seal them though, for freshness.

There's another thread about this floating around somewhere.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 21

I've always just used a curling ribbon or sticker to close the bags. I never thought to us an iron to seal them! I'm definitely going to have to try this. Thanks for the idea.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 21

I use my Food Saver to seal my cello bags. Havve done it for a couple years now.

sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 21

No problem. I got the idea from here. Just make sure to test it first. I use the lowest setting. Otherwise, it melts and curls.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 21

Yes, I use an iron as well. You have to make sure you have the bags with the seal down the back, the noisy cello bags. icon_smile.gif

sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 21

I have those kind of bags too (with the seal from Nashville Wraps), but I have also used an iron on the party bags that aren't as noisy. I get those at Hobby Lobby.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 21

the bag doesn't melt if you iron it-i'm not sure i understand...i usually seal mine with a sticker (small adress sticker with my name and number) unless they've asked for ribbon (i'm gonna charge $extra for that next time)

MichelleM77 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 21

Use a low setting. Some bags will melt. I was told you had to use the cello bags that have the seal down the back, different type of plastic than the "quiet," soft bags that do not have a seal down the back that are sold in the craft stores that will melt.

sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 21

IF you get the heat too high, they will curl and melt. Trust me...I did it by accident. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

I've used the bags without the seam too. I just have to make sure the iron is just barely on, but they will also work.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #13 of 21

I use an impulse sealer to seal my bags. I also shrink wrap them using a heat gun. If I am using ribbon I close the bag with a 1.5" silver bag tie I got from nashville wraps and tie with a fabric ribbon.

When my impulse sealer broke I bought a cheap flat iron from walmart and used that on the lowest setting.

HTH Julia

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #14 of 21

I also use an impulse sealer that I found so much cheaper on Ebay and LOVE! Before that, I used a tiny curling iron.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #15 of 21

Anyone know the difference between poly bags and cello bags? It may be the same thing, I dunno. I have a food saver and wondered if I could use with poly bags.
Thanks!

MichelleM77 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #16 of 21

Here is where I learned about sealing bags with an iron and what bags work, etc.

http://cellobags.com/html/cello_bags_tutor.html

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #17 of 21

www.papermart.com has FDA-approved self-sealing bags that I use for my cookies. I also use the non-sealing bags and tie with curling ribbon.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 21

Not sure what model FoodSaver you have but I seal all kinds of bags with mine. I even sealed the bag of shredded lettuce you get at the store yesterday. I've never had a problem.

I do have the capability to manually set mine. I have it set at 3 for most of the stuff I seal.

I have a Professional II model. I've had it for years.

amastercreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amastercreation Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:18am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

www.papermart.com has FDA-approved self-sealing bags that I use for my cookies. I also use the non-sealing bags and tie with curling ribbon.

I just got my order of the self-sealing bags from papermart. I really like them. I've been going back and forth on purchasing a sealer or a food saver and when I saw these bags, I thought I'd give them a try first. So far so good.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #20 of 21

Yes, I love them. They are called "lip and seal" bags if anyone wants to search for them. Several places carry them but I really like dealing with Papermart.

Really gives the cookie a finished professional look.

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #21 of 21

If I don't have enough extension on top to make it look nice with a bow, I use my vacuum sealer and start sealing it before it starts vacuuming. I personally think that this type of closure looks better with some type of label across the top, or a decorative strip cut with a scrapbooking cutter. I can say this because, unfortunately (for me icon_lol.gif ) I have never sold cookies....only make them for friends and probably have more time to do them than those of you that are selling. JMHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%