Help Please! Baking Cake In A Terra Cotta Flower Pot?

Decorating By sparklynne Updated 10 May 2008 , 12:56am by Molly2

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 7

I could have sworn a while back ago I had seen a forum posting for baking in a terra cotta pot. I can not find it for the life of me. I wanted to give them as gifts to family members and thought they would be wonderful. If any one could PLEASE help me icon_confused.gif I would so much appreciate it.
Thank you
Lynnette
Sparklynne Everything's Sparklynne

6 replies
crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #2 of 7

I bought a flower pot at AC Moore, one that had been glazed, to bake the cake, which avoided the dreaded 3D carving. I didn't use the plain type of pot, without glaze, because I was unsure as to what temperature that could withstand. I know that a glazed pot has been placed in a kiln at a very, very high temp to bake on the enamel, or whatever the covering is made of.

So, I took the 4" pot (although you could use any size) and sprayed Pam inside. I covered the drain hole with aluminum foil and placed a flower nail in the center of the pot (to help bake the center of the cake).

Then I poured in the cake batter to a 3/4 level. I think it took about 55 minutes at 325 degrees. It was done with the sides pulled away from the pot and a wooden skewer came out with just a few crumbs on it.

I let it cool for a half hour in the fridge, ran a offset spatula around the sides, and it popped right out. I removed the flower nail from the bottom.

After I chilled it for another hour, I then torted it into three horizontal sections (so that they stacked back on top of each other after I spread a bit of buttercream between the layers). I crumb coated with IMBC, stuck a short dowel in the center for vertical support, and chilled again for 10 minutes to firm it up. I covered the outside with crusting buttercream (sugarshack's recipe for smoothness) for the terra cotta color.

I used Oreo cookie crumbs for the dirt (you can also use choco graham crackers or any dark brown cookie or cake crumbs).

Remember, as with any 3D cake, you need to keep it chilled so that it won't crumble!! I also use the 3D sturdy cake recipe, which is delicious and moist. It really is a sturdy cake -- listed under CC recipes.

Good luck and please feel free to PM with any questions.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:16am
post #3 of 7

I remember a thread about making choc flower pot molds ! It looks like crazy4sugar Gave a great answer !

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:18am
post #4 of 7

Did not see the post at CC, but I do know another site that has dierctions! I hope this shows up!- http://www.foundationtv.co.uk/f-tips/flowerpotcookery.html

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:43am
post #5 of 7

You all are so fantastic!!! Thank you so much crazy4sugar!! icon_biggrin.gif You are awesome! Bossy that site was perfect! Thank you all for your quick response! This is why I love this community!
Happy Baking
Lynnette
Sparklynne Everything's Sparklynne

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:48am
post #6 of 7

I have only baked bread in flower pots, but it worked just fine. I left the bread in the pot to give as a gift. I wrapped the whole pot in plastic wrap and tied a cute ribbon around the plastic wrap to dress it up some.

I bought regular flower pots. I oiled them and baked them at low heat for a while to season.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #7 of 7

Wow Great info Thank you both

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%