Anyone Ever Used A Flavoring Besides Almond In Wasc?? :p

Decorating By DoniB Updated 11 May 2008 , 4:30pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 15

I just ask because I need to make a cake for tomorrow, and don't know if anyone has any nut allergies. I thought about butter flavoring (since that's what I have on hand), but I'm heading to the cake store as soon as they open, so I can look for something else.

Any suggestions? icon_smile.gif

I ask the strangest questions sometimes, don't I??? icon_razz.gif

14 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 15

I made the WASC for the first time this past week. I made one the regular flavor, then I made a half batch in lemon. For the half batch, I used about 6 or 7 packets of True Lemon http://www.truelemon.com/ plus 1 tsp of lemon extract. Also, the egg ammount was different. (See link below for the recipe.) I changed it a bit by not using the lemon juice, instead just using the packets.

Here's a link to info about more flavors.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-583833.html

Everyone loved the cake and said it tasted better than bakery cake. I torted it and filled it with raspberry buttercream. (I made that by adding to the buttercream, Polaner All Fruit Seedless Raspberry, plus a few drops of Lorann raspberry flavoring, (which I purchased at the grocery store; it was in the bulk fods section with the candy making supplies).

DoniB Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 15

wow... the lemon with raspberry sounds wonderful! How much of the jam did you use? One jar? I can pick up some of that and the raspberry flavoring while I'm out today. icon_smile.gif Sounds delicious! icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 15

Oh, I'm sorry, I really don't know exactly. I just added it until we liked the flavor. It was less than the whole jar though, maybe about 1/2 to 3/4. Personally, I would have liked more of the raspberry flavor, but my husband said not to make it too strong, so I stopped adding when he said it was perfect!

I would have liked to frost the cake with this raspberry buttercream, but I need white, and the fruit turned it a shade of pink.

Enjoy!

DoniB Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks! I will probably ice the cake with it, as well, since I'm hopefully using chocolate on the outside of it. We'll see. Things are still not quite firm in my head, as to what I'm going to do, so it should be an interesting day! LOL

Thanks for your help!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 15

Ooh, if you are doing chocolate, then I would make the cake be raspberry with the raspberry buttercream. I just LOVE chocolate and raspberry together! Also, I'm not sure how the lemon would taste with the chocolate.

DoniB Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 15

The thought is that the chocolate will be hard, so folks will most likely peel it off the cake before trying to eat it, anyhow. It won't be a layer of chocolate icing or anything, but sheets of it simulating wood-grain. Or at least black, to look like a jewelry box. That's the plan, anyhow. icon_razz.gif I'm off to the cake store to see what I can find. icon_smile.gif I'll post pics once it's done, if it turns out even half as nice as it is in my head. icon_razz.gif

I do like the thought of a totally raspberry cake, though... hmmm....

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 15

Oh, that sounds really neat. I will keep a watch for your photo. I am interested because I have to make a violin shaped cake soon for my daughter's recital. I want it to look especially nice because this is the last recital she will have with her teacher (the teacher is moving) and we really like her.

Have fun making your cake!

DoniB Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 15

well, the jewelry box idea fell through. I'm having trouble keeping things together on the cake here today... hot and humid don't mix well with fancy cakes! I'm going to be happy to get it frosted/smoothed and maybe some scrollwork on it. I'm thinking of stopping and getting some fresh raspberries, though, and put them here and there on the cake, within the scrollwork. Depends on what design I choose, I guess. icon_razz.gif

Either way, thank you SOOO much for all your help!!! The lemon sour cream cake is incredible, and when I added the raspberry buttercream... my knees went weak. icon_smile.gif My MIL and SIL (who live with us for now) both swore off their diets till the 'leftovers' cake is gone. *grin* (I had enough batter left over to do a tall 6" cake, so I'm leaving that one for them to snack on tonight. icon_smile.gif )

I will post photos of the cake, if it turns out halfway decent-looking, though. Heck, at this point, most of them are still practice cakes, so I like posting them to get feedback. icon_razz.gif

You rock!!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 15

I'm sorry to hear that your cake design didn't work out the way you wanted. I had that same problem last week for my daughter's First Communion cake. I was really sad, but, at least the cake tasted great!

Glad to hear that you like the lemon & raspberry combo. Our cake is finally gone now, and I want to make another, just for fun!! (I am going to be good though and wait a few weeks!!) icon_smile.gif

I am so grateful for websites like this, and recipezar, and all the people who share their knowledge. That is such a great recipe and I am glad to have found it last week!!

Enjoy your cake![/code]

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 15

Whoo boy, ALL THE TIME!!! I always use the WASC recipe as the base but then change around the flavorings.

Orange, lemon, raspberry, pomegranate (YUM), coconut, pear (another personal favorite), just about any extract you can think of. If someone wants just plain white, just use all vanilla instead of the almond. To make a chocolate variation, use chocolate mix and all vanilla.

Then when you flavor icings and use different fillings, you have endless flavor possibilities. The hardest for me is deciding which is my favorite!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 15

I'll have to remember these flavors the next time I do a WASC. These sound soooo good.

DoniB Posted 11 May 2008 , 12:11pm
post #13 of 15

In case anyone was interested in how the cake turned out, I've posted a pic below and in my photos...

It was a HUGE hit!!!! People that don't like either lemon or raspberry gave it a shot, and LOVED it!!! icon_smile.gif DEFINITELY going into the permanent recipe box! icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much for all the help! I'm going to print out this thread and keep the suggested flavor combos in mind next time I feel like experimenting. icon_smile.gif
LL

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 11 May 2008 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 15

I love that cake. The raspberries look awesome as flowers. I will definitely have to try that flavor combo, sounds yummy!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 15

It turned out so pretty! Thanks for posting your picture!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%