Website Domains

Business By vteventrider Updated 13 May 2008 , 10:51pm by 0TNIC

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 15

I was wondering where y'all got your website domains? I do websites for my company and now I have 2 friends who are liscensed bakers and they want me to do websites for them, but I wanted to know where some good places to look for domains are. I am looking for something reasonably priced with a decent amount of options for graphics, etc. I appreciate all the help.

14 replies
cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 15

I used 1&1. Cheap, easy, plenty of options. They do the name reg and hosting. They had a special when I signed up, but I think I got a whole year for under $15.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 15

Go Daddy is the best I've found. My husband and I create websites for friends who have businesses (artists, dance studios, etc...). We've used others, but IMHO, they have the best customer service (prices are good also). Only my opinion, but skip the free webs, they add too much of their own advertising, often don't work well on all browsers & resolutions, etc... One I looked at the source code and it had over 15K blank lines and alot of extra code that didn't do anything but degrade performance.

vteventrider Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks for your quick replys. snowshoe1, Go Daddy is what I thought too after looking at some of the free sites code.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 15

I started with the free web then got a .com premium site through them. I need someone to do me a more professional looking site though. Not satisfied with what I'm capable of doing.

shapeacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeacake Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:13am
post #6 of 15

I use godaddy as well. They have good customer support. It usually takes a few minutes (4-10) to speak to someone, but they tell you what your hold time is and they'll help you through most questions. (Although a couple of times I was given inaccurate information about topics such as factors influencing search engine optimization and such.) All and all, I recommend them.

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeryluv

I used 1&1. Cheap, easy, plenty of options. They do the name reg and hosting. They had a special when I signed up, but I think I got a whole year for under $15.

I use 1&1 as well.

vteventrider Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #8 of 15

Chrusl121070,

That is a great website you have. Thanks for the tip. I will check out 1&1 as well.

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:41am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vteventrider

Chrusl121070,

That is a great website you have. Thanks for the tip. I will check out 1&1 as well.

Oops! That's not "my" website! I need to take that out of there. LOL

cohenandlillysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohenandlillysmom Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:53am
post #10 of 15

I used IXwebhosting.com. They let you see ALL the templates and you can even start building your website before you buy! I paid $15 a month for a year up front and I think I got a discount. They use the Linux program. The customer service is outstanding!

I did just see on vistaprint.com that they offer website hosting now and i LOVE their layouts but you have to start from the very beginning with them. If I was going to do it over I would prolly go with them just because they have really awesome layouts! You can even match you biz cards to your website!

You can check out my site (the one hosted by ixwebhosting)

www.uniquecakesonline.com

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:01am
post #11 of 15

I use web.com and it costs $11 a month. It has templates and graphics and is really easy to use.
Jen...

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #12 of 15

Wow. Some people really pay a lot for something you can get cheap.
I use Hostica.com
$1 a month. Any additional things you want, like SQL or PHP you can set up and pay a small fee (like 2.99 for php for the whole year) IF you need it instead of paying extra for services you don't use.

I pay $12 a year for my hosting and $8.95 a year for my domain name.

0TNIC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
0TNIC Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #13 of 15

i use 1&1 and i have to say they are soooo easy to use!!!!

I use to use startlogic who were the worst company ever!!!!

I have 5 websites i can get through 1&1 and i pay $4.95 a month for all 5 sites icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 15

I'm a fan of Homestead.com . I pay $4.99 per month for five pages or you can upgrade to 10 pages and pay $9.99 per month. Definitely worth it, in my opinion. There is a 30-day free trial so you can play around with it for a long time before committing.

0TNIC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
0TNIC Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:51pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I'm a fan of Homestead.com . I pay $4.99 per month for five pages or you can upgrade to 10 pages and pay $9.99 per month. Definitely worth it, in my opinion. There is a 30-day free trial so you can play around with it for a long time before committing.

My experience of homestead was bad... I signed up and then couldnt access my account for 3 days then when i got on there it wasnt working properly and it was slow as and i couldnt find anything i wanted.
I asked for a refund and then 6 months later i finally received my refund... wasnt happy with them at all.

Guess theres always 1 in so many that aint happy with the service

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%