Mmf, What Do Ya Think?

Decorating By hcouso Updated 6 May 2008 , 4:22am by hcouso

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:18am
post #1 of 11

I have FINALY got the whole making MMF down. I made it once a year ago and had not been able to make it right since. The powdered sugar would always ball up in the bottom of the mixing bowl. So this time I hand mixed most of it and then used the hook for just a few seconds and then let it rest over night.

I got nervous the next day when I started kneading it and it was kinda pulling apart. Long story short, it came out smooth and the whole cake is covered with it except the yellow "flowers" are royal icing. (Which came out a little too yellow for me) But I kinda did it in a very low light because my BIL was sleeping in the living room and I didn't want to keep him up since it was 4 am.

It was for my daughter and every single person at the party had some and really liked it, even all the dads. Anyways, thanks for listening, I know this is long, I was just excited about the MMF. So, what do you think?

Heather
LL

10 replies
jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #2 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif Fabulous job!! It looks perfect to me and I love your accents and colors!!! Congratulations!!! thumbs_up.gif

You should be proud!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #3 of 11

Your cake is wonderful,I hope when I try my MMF tonight that it looks as good as yours. icon_wink.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 11

yup! MMF is the best!! icon_smile.gif Glad it turned out right for you!!!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:38am
post #5 of 11

honestly I am having such a bad time with it- a year ago i did my sisters wedding cake with it and loved it- now I hesitate to do it I love the cost and the taste but i just cant work withit any more, it taers and ripas and makes me wanna cry icon_sad.gif

yours looks fab though!! good for you !

hcouso Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:47am
post #6 of 11

Thank you everyone! I was really proud of the fact that I could make it because I love the look of fondant but I couldn't get anyone to order it on their cake because it's so gross. But everyone liked the marshmallows. I think the hand folding of the powdered sugar helped keep the sugar from forming little crusty balls which way the problem I was having before. I also kneaded it with shortening which helped it from drying out for me.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:47am
post #7 of 11

I think your cake looks fantastic! I like the sparkles.
I love working with MMF. I always hand mix it.....or get my hustband to do it near the end. icon_smile.gif I think it's easier than using my KA. I always use tons of shortening on everything and a blob with the MM before I nuke them.

Anyway, great job!

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #8 of 11

Your cake turned out really nice, good job. You should be proud.

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #9 of 11

Great job..love the colors you chose...I use mmf or rolled buttercream for all the cookies I make and sell and have had no complaints..MMF is really awesome stuff and tastes soooo good..good for you for doing this cake..beautiful..happy icing, C.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #10 of 11

It's beautiful!

When your powdered sugar balls up in the machine, are you putting in the marshmallows and water, then putting the sugar on top? Or putting the sugar in first? I've done it both ways and the marshmallows really have to go in first, or you just end up with a rock of powdered sugar in the bottom of the bowl. I also grease the bowl and hook with 1/4 cup crisco before I start, then halfway through I grease the bowl and hook with another 1/4 cup crisco. It works really well for me.

hcouso Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:22am
post #11 of 11

Wow, Texas_Rose, I guess I should have tried to put the mm in the bowl first, I didn't think of that because I just figured the mm was too sticky. I made the well of powdered sugar and then folded in the mm.

For those of you that use rolled buttercream, how does it compare to mmf and how do you make it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%