How Much Should I Charge For A Cake Like This?

Business By DelectableCreations Updated 6 May 2008 , 7:31am by MikeRowesHunny

DelectableCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectableCreations Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 18

A potential customer is inquiring about me creating a cake like the one below with 2 layers rather then the four tiers, and only wants to spend $100.00. I'm not sure I think this is worth the time,effort and fondant it would take to make this for $100.00. There is a lot of fondant and detail work as you can see! I need to get back to him soon and have no clue what to tell him! My thoughts are that it might look odd with only two layers, as well as the fact that I think it needs to be a little less detailed and busy if he only wants to spend $100.00. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

icon_cry.gif
LL

17 replies
Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 18

Instead of fondant, you could ice it in buttercream and use fondant accents to cut down on the use of fondant and the time spent smoothing fondant over two layers.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 18

If he he is only wanting a 9 and 6 inch tier I would say 100.00. Thats a lot of work.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 18

I've never done a wedding cake...but I know that I wouldnt do a one that size with that detail for so little!!!

Maybe you should consider pricing per serving, figure out the servings of the cake and calculate total price from there. I'm sure it will be alot more than $100! good luck!!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 18

I still think it would loook lovely as two tiers. The question is, how many servings does the customer want, and how much are you going to charge per serving? That is a designer cake, and I bet it didn't come with a $2-$3/serving price tag. It also can be hard to replicate exactly.

DelectableCreations Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 18

I have already thought that I will tell him that it wouldn't be covered in fondant due to the cost and would be buttercream. In order to feed the amount of guest he is having it would need to be at least a 12 inch and 8 inch cake. YIKES?!

DelectableCreations Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 18

I have already thought that I will tell him that it wouldn't be covered in fondant due to the cost and would be buttercream. In order to feed the amount of guest he is having it would need to be at least a 12 inch and 8 inch cake. YIKES?!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 18

Thats a beautiful cake! 100.00 for a 9" and 6" sounds o.k. if you do the crusting buttercream and it only has the one color of fondant accents. (In my opionion. But then what I think it will take me in time I usually end up doubbling. (sp?) icon_rolleyes.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 18

uMMM... A 12" and 8" is 80 servings. You are going to sell him a cake for $1.25 a serving??? Are you nuts, or is he??? It's at least a $200 cake, with the number of servings and time and effort.
When in doubt about what to charge, start with a fixed price. Let's say $2.00 a serving. Then go up from there. Fondant work gets an extra $.50 per serving, chocolate ganache an extra $.50 per serving, and so forth.
And stay true to yourself! Value your self and your work, and others will too.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 18

i think you'll be kicking your own but for only charging $1.25 a serving. that's a beautiful cake and a ton of work. if he wants quality he should pay for it.

DelectableCreations Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:55pm
post #11 of 18

He was very vague when he first inquired. I asked him what his budget was, and to send me photos of cakes he liked in regards to concept. He sent me that, and an insanely beautiful and intricate purse. I think he has no concept of how much time and cost a cake like either of these cost! We have not settled on a cake, or if I will even commit to making this cake.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 18

It would have to be a tiny cake for only $100. Assume you are charging $4/serving, that only gives 25 servings for the cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 18

That looks to me to be a 6-8-10-12.. that's 115 servings. I'd charge $575 for that cake in fondant. $100 wouldn't even cover the retainer to save the date for that cake. How many is he looking to serve? As an 8-12 it would serve 70 by my chart.. me thinks he is delusional. icon_wink.gif

I would simply tell him your base serving in fondant is $x and my base price in buttercream is $x.. the cake you are asking for would serve 115 people and that will be $XXX.00 in buttercream and $XXX.00 in fondant. If that is not within your budget and you don't need 115 servings we can make a cake that captures all you love about this cake in your servings range.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:00am
post #14 of 18

that is one fantastic cake!! is there any way to do the fondant detail in RI instead with maybe less detail? that's still a lot to do-is there anyway that he could pay more? (if he really wants it he'll pay-it's not like he can get it elsewhere righticon_smile.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:11am
post #15 of 18

For $100 he could get nine servings of that cake at my place, but....... I won't make a cake smaller than an 8".

As him how many servings he needs.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:18am
post #16 of 18

Maybe I'm way off, but is it possible that this is an online inquiry that seems "off" in other ways? Or is this just a man who just doesn't have a clue?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:04am
post #17 of 18

it could be both LOL.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:31am
post #18 of 18

I would charge no less than $5 per serving for that cake in buttercream and $6 per serving in fondant - so from me a 12in & 8in in that design would be $360-$435!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%