WiltonâS Ball Pan Help -- Very Uneven Baking...

Decorating By shisharka Updated 6 May 2008 , 2:34pm by allee

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 6

Both times I used Wilton's ball pan, edges baked to a crisp, while the middle was still sticky (once with my scratch dark chocolate recipe that Iâve used for many years without an issue, second time with anoter tried-and-true doctored chocolate mix). They also domed way too much⦠Soooo⦠I was thinking of wrapping the pans in a wet towel to achieve the bake strips effectâ¦? Any other suggestions on making the Wilton ball pans work?! Thanks!

5 replies
kellycakes4949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycakes4949 Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry I'm not going to be much help here, but thought I'd give you a bump. I have used this pan a couple of times with no issues. I just used a regular boxed Betty Crocker mix, non-doctored. Maybe try that?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 6

I use a flower nail in each half of the ball pan to prevent the overcooked-edge-batter-in-the-middle predicament. Before I started doing that, I'd get toasty edges before the middle got properly done.

HTH,
Deanna

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:24am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

I use a flower nail in each half of the ball pan to prevent the overcooked-edge-batter-in-the-middle predicament. Before I started doing that, I'd get toasty edges before the middle got properly done.

HTH,
Deanna

Now THAT never occurred to me for such a small cake... I use a flower nail together with baking strips on anything larger than 10â, but I didnât even consider placing it inside the half ball⦠Thanks a bunch, Iâll try it - making a baseball smash cake for my friendâs 1-year old in two weeks icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 6

Glad I could help. Post a pic when you get your cake done!

Deanna

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 6

I use the bake even strip around the very edge of the pan and it turns out great. It's not too hard after you try it a time or two. I tried it on an empty on first, then after filling, had no trouble putting it on there. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%