Quirky Names For Cake Flavors? Does It Help Or Not?

Business By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 8 May 2008 , 2:15pm by cakeryluv

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 36

I've noticed that a few shops have their own "quirky" name for cake flavors, especially for cupcakes. Personally i find them fun and intriguing.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Does it help the business or not? I'm thinking of putting the quirky name and below it write what the cake is all about, what flavor, frosting and filling is.

I wanna know if it's confusing for the customers and yourself or if it attracts buyers and kinda make your shop "interesting".

35 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 36

as a customer
I hate when food has some weird fun name- but theres no description of what it is and what the flavors are

if your gonna go from some quirky name definitely include a description

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 36

It think that it is quite interesting...it should help your products stand out against the competition.

Just imagine being known for your "Bam Bam Supa Whoopa" cupcake icon_razz.gif

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 36

think Ben and Jerrys ice cream...half the fun is reading the names and whats inside.
I also noticed this alot at custon icecream place (cold stone....)
I thinks it fun but make sure you describe it so there is no confusion. I am allergic to nuts so i NEED the description to (literaly) save my life!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 36

If the fun name incorporates what it is, yeah...if not, no. Calling a strawberry marble cupcake "Strawberry Swirlers" is cute, but not "Tiptoe thru the Tulips", for example.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 36

i was actually thinking of using my cousin's names, like describe their personality using cupcakes.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 36

I hate the cute names for cakes. When ordering, it seems more simple and clear to state: Fudge cake with vanilla cream filling, rather then 'Monkey cake with goo-goo gaa-gaa filling', lol.

Ben & Jerrys? Love their stuff and I think their marketing technique is great - I guess I'm just not a fan of seeing it anywhere else.

Wow, I'm no fun at all.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 36

"Sharon" = chocolate & vanilla; sweet and bi-polar? Oops, that's MY cousin!! LOL

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

"Sharon" = chocolate & vanilla; sweet and bi-polar? Oops, that's MY cousin!! LOL

LOL

i was on a bus for 6 hours today and all i did was invent flavors to fit people i know. I have about 20 flavors now. Hopefully they'd taste good.

CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 36

I had a wedding consult just he other day and the groom said " Finally! real names for cake flavors! You don't know how annoying it is to unscrable a name.!"

Just thought I'd share.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 36

As a customer, I do not appreciate quirky names, but I don't "theme dress" either (halloween aplique sweat shirts, Christmas sweaters, etc). I think the quirky names might have an attraction for some, but I'm more of a "cut to the chase" type gal. (I refuse to order to Starbucks as a vinte, it's a large for heaven's sake).

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 36

I don't think it helps. Just think, everytime someone asks a customer what kind of cake that is they have to also describe what's in it. Now if you only do 1 or 2 specialty flavor combinations with unique names then that's probably cool but it will only confuse your customers if they have to order vanilla cake called Simply White or something.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 36

hmmmm thanks for the opinions guys. am second-guessing it now.

it's just that if i gave them their real names they're too long. like pineapple-carrot cake with lemon curd filling and orange-vanilla frosting. icon_sad.gif so i'm torn.

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #14 of 36

I do the "names" for my cupcakes. (I'm a cupcake shop.) People love them. If you use a name that sparks some sort of imagination/emotion...

I ALWAYS include a description of the contents though.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 36

yeah i figured people would find it interesting because i do. LOL i get so caught up by those cute-sy names icon_biggrin.gif

cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 36

I think if done correctly, it could be cute.

I see your dilemma with long cake names, and understand the struggle with putting the whole thing out there. That being said, I'm not sure where you're planning on using your names, but if you have to put descriptions after each one, are you saving yourself anything at that point?

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

hmmmm thanks for the opinions guys. am second-guessing it now.

it's just that if i gave them their real names they're too long. like pineapple-carrot cake with lemon curd filling and orange-vanilla frosting. icon_sad.gif so i'm torn.

This is EXACTLY why I came up with the names. Start adding "Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream" and people's eyes glaze over. LOL

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 36

I hate cutsey names also. Chocolate cake is a chocolate cake.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:04pm
post #19 of 36

I don't usually use cute names but I just did an event with cupcakes for a high profile hair salon. they are trendy people so I did a menu card on the table listing the types of cupcakes with funky names and they loved it!

I did list below the name the type of cake frosting and filling.

I would never have done it if I didn't include the description.

It depends on your audience for example if I had done the same cupcakes for a retirement party i wouldn't have included the names.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:06pm
post #20 of 36

Maybe do a half-and-half, with the LOOOOONG names getting a descriptor, and the relatively simple ones staying as-is... I was thinking kinda like Pizza Hut: You can order a "pepperoni" or "sausage" or "bacon", but then you order the "Meat Lovers" or "Supreme"...

So maybe "Chocolate with Vanilla Buttercream" but the cake you described could be "Tropical Citrus" with the description below... If they wanna customize, that's their business, like ordering a "Supreme without the mushrooms and with extra cheese". Just a thought! icon_biggrin.gif

Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:20pm
post #21 of 36

Mmmmm....piiiiizza...<Homer drool>

kansaswolf Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:47pm
post #22 of 36

I know, sounds SOOOO good... icon_biggrin.gif

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #23 of 36

I have names for my "signature" cakes. These are cakes that I've created that incorporate all different combinations of cake and filling flavors. I try to have the name be descriptive of what the cake is. For example, my "Chocoholics Downfall" is an intensely chocolate cake that has three different chocolate fillings, two chocolate cake layers and a brownie layer. I also have several other signature cakes that have chocolate cake in them. The names just give my customers a way of naming the cake combination they want.

I don't think it's any different than using the name "spaghetti carbonara" to describe a very specific pasta dish.

Of course, if a customer just wants a simple chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream no special name is needed.

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #24 of 36

I think it is a fun way to make your menu more interesting, and personally love it when a bakery has cool names for their flavor combinations. I would think that a menu of combinations would be best suited for a cupcakes shop, though. Maybe though for celebration cakes people would want to select their own flavor and fillings, because it is something more personal.
Just my opinion! icon_biggrin.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:30am
post #25 of 36

I guess you need to decide which type of customer is in the majority for your area and go with what will go over best for them. Didn't think it would be so complicated to market such yummy treats.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #26 of 36

I think it depends definately on how it is done. If the cute name clearly has something to do with the flavor I'm all for it, or if it has something to do with the specifc theme of the shop, but not something that makes you go, "Huh?" There's nothing worse than some kind of private joke or some unexpained, unobvious name for something that the general public won't get. Names like Ben and Jerry's are definately fun. There is a sub shop in my town that names each sub after a different town in our area. Something like that is interesting. Triple Chocolate Cake becomes even more decadent when it's called Death by Chocolate or something sinful like that. But I'm not sure about naming flavors for people that not everyone knows. It kinda seems like most people will be left out of getting the meaning of the name. Just my opinion.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:53am
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

As a customer, I do not appreciate quirky names, but I don't "theme dress" either (halloween aplique sweat shirts, Christmas sweaters, etc). I think the quirky names might have an attraction for some, but I'm more of a "cut to the chase" type gal. (I refuse to order to Starbucks as a vinte, it's a large for heaven's sake).

I so freakin' agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I go in starbucks, hold my hands about 6" apart and order "Cappacino ... vanilla ... about this big." One time they ask me "dry or wet?" I stared at her and said, "I have no idea what the hell that means. My coffee is usually in liquid form."

I REFUSE to order the small cinnamon rolls at Burger King because the name is stupid. I refuse to be forced to say (insert twangy redneck voice here) "CINNY-MINI'S PLEASE!" Just call them cinnamon rolls!!

My husband called the 800# of a popular fast food chain when he ordered a medium fry and got a small. Corporate called him back and explained they don't have small so the small is medium (don't EVEN get me started on this crap!). She asked if he could read the menu ok and he told her, "Lady, it's a burger and fries. I shouldn't have to learn a second language to order a burger and fries!"

I hate cutesy. I hate names that make me HAVE to ask "what is it?" I hate names that force me to feel degraded and humiliated when I say it. I would hate to own a shop where I have to repeat over and over what it is.

If the name of your business doesn't tell people what it is you do, then you've named your business wrong. Same with the menus.

I've actually rec'd a number of comments from my brides of "We read your menus and we know what the food is!" I can name it the fanciest-danciest french name in the world and many people would only respond, "Sounds nice, but what the heck is it?"

(I realize I'm ranting, but understand that I'm in the middle of my 5-day fraternity catering this week and the sleep deprivation is getting to me already. My alarm goes off at 4:45 a.m. and I don't get home until 8:30 p.m. .... So why am I on CC instead of getting to bed? icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif )

kansaswolf Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:02am
post #28 of 36

I would agree that I'm in the "cutesy-avoiding" group, but I also understand that some clientele will LOVE it, and others will HATE it. However, in the case of LOOOOONG descriptions, I'd probably prefer a shorter name as a choice... And yes, your plan to add the descriptions under the "name" is a MUST! YOU don't want to be repeating all the ingredients any more than your customers! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I'm wondering... Do you HAVE to put prices for ALL your cake combinations? Why not just list "list of cakes" "list of fillings" and "list of icings/fondants"? Or maybe you do that, and are just wanting to list some popular/favorite combos?

For me personally, I'd do a FEW combo flavors with names, and just have a list of other flavors available... But it's your business and customers, so I'm sure you'll come up with what's best! icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #29 of 36

indydebi i hope you got to bed and are resting by now. your "rant" made me LOL btw hehe.

well since i'm making cupcakes, i think "cute-sy" names can be appropriate. i decided to use names of people i care about because i can't for the life of me think of any creative names. the first name i thought of was "enchanting ella" and it will be a pink cupcake, pink velvet cake, white chocolate ganache filling and pink bc with sprinkles. it's for my cousin who is 8 years old who loves pink and disney princesses.

Earlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlene Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:22am
post #30 of 36

The one time I found the cutsy name most valuable was when I kept telling the brides and moms (at a bridal show) that the cake flavor was orange. Their reply was -"We know the cake is orange in color but what flavor is it." I kept telling them orange and the response was - they still did not want to take that for the answer. So I began telling them the flavor was dreamsicle - Then they said "Oh yeah - it tastes just like the dreamsicles we used to eat". Go figure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%