Need Help Getting My Name Out There

Business By cakesbyjulie2 Updated 7 May 2008 , 12:57am by indydebi

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 10

I have tried so hard to get my name out there , I have had a website for about 2 1/2 months with over 300 hits on the site but not a lot of orders. I started a mailing of postcards advesrtiing my website. I do about 4 to 6 cakes a month. Does it take a while ? am I being impatient?

Also I have a great idea for like a cupcake shop that mainly does cupcakes bouquets for special occasions. Feedback on that would be great !

I am at a loss am I just expecting too much ????

Thank you to anyone who can offer and suggestions or insights .

Happy Baking
Julie !

9 replies
trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 10

One thing that I am doing that will help you, possibly - I put together a flyer on Word with pictures, my name, and phone number as well as a catchy little line and am sending it by e-mail to every single person in my address book. They, in turn, will send it to people and so forth. Word of mouth is truly one of the most effective tools. Good luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:30am
post #3 of 10

Basic rule of sales is you have to pass out 100 biz cards to get one order. You have to hear 10 no's before you get a yes.

We are also in a business where people need our special services just on special occasions. They might have seen your cakes or your website in February, but their kids birthday isn't until October.

Join a local networking group in your area. Not only does that help get you known, but you meet some really great people who can help you in ways you never thought of. I met a lady who introduced me to a marketing company that I will be contacting to help take me to the next level; I met a guy who does focused mailings. When I asked him how specific his mailing lists are, he said, "If you come up with a new sugarfree cake, I can get you a mailing list of diabetics in your neighborhood, within a X-mile radius, in specific zip codes."

Wow.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 10

I'm in the process of looking into new homeowners/new movers and this might help you. We just moved into our first home two weeks ago. We have been swimming in mortgage insurance junk mail ever since. I didn't even think about it really until I got a brochure from a local landscaper. I'm sure they get the listings a different way, but in our local paper there is a real estate transfer listing in every week's paper! Light bulb moment! Just like indydebi used to mail out listings for newly engaged couples that she saw in the paper, why not use the real estate transfer section, especially since the address is printed right there in black and white?!?!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:52am
post #5 of 10

This question is asked every couple of days...

If you read a little further down the board even just a few pages...there's lots of advice.

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:01am
post #6 of 10

thanks so much for everyones input ..I appreciate the advice

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #7 of 10

I'm right there with you.

I've been open for 7 months now and am just now starting to get things rolling. I'm home based so I don't have the exposure of a store front. I just have to work a bit harder. Make a list of all the things you learn here and make it a point to do one a day. thumbs_up.gif
Thats what I'm doing.

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 10

I think that you should join the chamber of commerce. And join the rotery club, these are great places to network. At the Chamber they will use members for all of their events. If your are a woman most towns have clubs for business women you should also join. Who are the people that you want to sell to? Where are they at? find them and join the clubs that they are in.

Next year for Professional Admin Day go and give the secraterys a small gift. They are the people who order cakes for office events. And normal cost are not big issues.

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 10

I think that you should join the chamber of commerce. And join the rotery club, these are great places to network. At the Chamber they will use members for all of their events. If your are a woman most towns have clubs for business women you should also join. Who are the people that you want to sell to? Where are they at? find them and join the clubs that they are in.

Next year for Professional Admin Day go and give the secraterys a small gift. They are the people who order cakes for office events. And normal cost are not big issues.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:57am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexinWV

I think that you should join the chamber of commerce. ..... At the Chamber they will use members for all of their events.

Very true. A friend of mine recommended me as a caterer for some Chamber events. The Chamber asked, "Is she a member here?"

Well .... I am now!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%