Chocolate Mint Cake

Decorating By skittles2120 Updated 5 May 2008 , 2:24am by MnSnow

skittles2120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skittles2120 Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 3

I have a request for a chocolate mint cake. Can I just add some peppermint extract to a chocolate mix? How much extract would I add? Thanks a bunch!

2 replies
shapeacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeacake Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 3

Yes - you can just add extract to chocolate cake mix. 1/2 teaspoon should give a subtle flavor and 1 teaspoon should give a noticable one.

Another idea is to make a swirl cake. Add mint extract and green food coloring to yellow cake mix and swirl in with chocolate cake mix.

I really like to have the mint flavor in the frosting. I think it goes really well with the extra sweetness in the frosting. I find if the mint flavor is in the frosting, people can barely tell whether or not it's in the cake.

You probably already have plans for this cake, but you might think about incorporating thin mints, chocolate mints or junior mints. You could crush up thin mints, stirred it in with the frosting and spread it between layers. You could decorate the cake using chocolate mints and/or the junior mints.

Best of luck!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 3

My grand daughter requested a chocolate mint cake for her birthday. I made the cake chocolate and the filling I melted Andes chips with some cream and mixed into Richs bettercream that was already whipped. I added mint flavoring to the icing. Everyone loved it! It wasn't over powering either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%