Home Processor Exemption - Long Island, Ny

Business By cuteums Updated 4 May 2008 , 5:09pm by Petit-four

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:43am
post #1 of 4

Has anyone in Nassau or Suffolk county been able to figure this out and actually get the exemption to sell cakes? I have been bounced between the dept. of agri & the board of health - neither wants to answer my questions or knows what they are talking about. They just say to contact the other. (I am in Suffolk). Also, does anyone know what the state's definition of "wholesale" is? I have been going crazy trying to figure this out and I have gotten nowhere. All I want to do is make occasion cakes/wedding cakes and sell them. As I understand it now, I could sell 24 muffins to my local deli but if 1 person asked me to bake a cake i can't do it. This doesn't make any sense and just can't be right. I can sell to the general public but not 1 person?? I'm just about ready to give up so any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know about your particular county, but my understanding, is that you can't do any chocolates, you can do fudges, no cream or custard pies. You can do cakes with out perishable fillings, but you can't sell to the public, just wholesale out. So as far as weddings go, you would need to hook up with a caterer and sell the cake to them so that they can resell to the bride

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 4

For New York State -- we have to work first at the local level, then county, and then state to make sure everything is permitted. It does vary widely, because it is locally based first. But, yes, if you can get the license, those foods are what is allowed for home processing.

Cuteums, I sent you the PM about this, but this is for anyone reading this from NYS. thumbs_up.gif

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 4

Here's the link the the regulation which allows NYS bakers to sell from home kitchens (sorry did not find it earlier):


You do first have to clear this first with your local government, then county (local law comes before state law in NY). You are also state inspected (one time), and have to follow ingredient and weight labeling regulations.

Hope this helps. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%