How Much Can You Earn Being A Wilton Teacher?

Decorating By Katied75 Updated 16 May 2008 , 6:18pm by tabbiekat

cindersue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindersue Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:53am
post #31 of 36

I will start teaching my first course this week at a Michaels near me. I contemplated long and hard because I just wasn't sure what I was getting into. But after listening to all that was said here I feel more comfortable. I took all the courses Wilton offers back in 2005 and my instructor asked me then if I wanted to be an instructor. Needless to say I didn't feel confident enough. So now I feel I can walk into it with a renewed sense of sharing what I truly enjoy and am addicted to. If only I had started this years earlier. I have only known about CC a few months and have picked up on so many new ideas and tips to make things easier. Another new addiction I'm sure.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:22am
post #32 of 36

I am a WMI in Springfield, OR for Michael's.

I'm not sure if you mentioned what store this was for so I'm going to speak as if it were a Michael's.

I do love what I do but I don't count the check as anything more than play money only because I can't be guaranteed success 4 times a month every month for enrollment.

Another thing to remember... if you want to create news letters for your students, put together hand outs for them to take home (FAQ's, icing trouble shooting etc), it's all on your own time. You can't claim it, you don't get paid for it.

My biggest frustration... the cashier's won't promote my classes at the registers. I have to constantly sell the idea to them. Most of them hate management, hate being there, and their attitudes down right suck. I'd like to shake many of them until their teeth fall out some nights. If your cashier doesn't help promote it you are pretty much your only cheerleader and it gets frustrating. This isn't just my store either, this is mentioned many times amongst my friends who are WMI's at other Michael's, other craft stores and retail locations who teach for Wilton.

Your in store marketing is limited to Michael's 5 star program. You can't create your own signs to put in the store, on the bathroom doors etc. so any self promoting you want to do must be done outside of the store. Oh and it's all at your own expense too.

As for the training, it was addressed you get training CD's to watch. You will also have to mentor a class and have it signed off before you can teach it. My mentor pretty much did the first class half of the second then left me to teach alone for C1 L3 & L4 and said "you are good to go". I hadn't taken the F&GP class so she had me take it and watch then signed me off to teach.

I've decorated for about 10 years and then took 6 years off from it professionally. The refesher courses were so I could brush up and get my kitchen licensed for a home business. That didn't work out and the opportunity to teach came back up.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:38am
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

You will also have to mentor a class and have it signed off before you can teach it. My mentor pretty much did the first class half of the second then left me to teach alone for C1 L3 & L4 and said "you are good to go". I hadn't taken the F&GP class so she had me take it and watch then signed me off to teach.

I didn't have to do the mentor thing when I started teaching, but I was lucky enough to sit in on the WMI's last Course 1 at the store. If you get a chance to sit in and watch (even if you have to go to a different store) I would do it. It is a really great experince. When you take the class you are doing it as a student and don't pay attention to alot of things. If you are watching knowing you are going to teach it you will learn all kinds of ideas, helpful hints and so forth. You will see things differently.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:43am
post #34 of 36

I just reread my post and realized it sounded pretty negative... sorry about that.

There are many positives and upsides as well.

If you work at a Michael's you are a Michael's employee. That qualifies you for their employee discount. You also are able to have a basic insurance policy with them for heath (and I thnk dental, I'd have to check).

You are paid for demo's and displays (if your store does them, many of the new stores opening don't.).

Some store managers are cool and say "if you use it in class you can store use it." Anything I store use I mark "demo" and put in my crate to store at home (we are not allowed storage space at the store for any demo products). When ever someone wants to see something I pull it out of my demo crate that goes with me to every demo. Other store managers say you must purchase it. It's really a lotto draw as to what you get in regards to management. hehe

Im sure there are other perks but I'm tired and can't think straight anymore tonight.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:51pm
post #35 of 36

I started taking the Wilton Courses back in Oct. 2006 and finished with the gumpaste class in Feb. '07 I think it was. I had applied to be a WMI at that time because they were opening a new AC Moores near me and I wanted to be the instructor. Badly!! Needless to say, the instructor they had backed out and I got the position. I started exactly one year ago. Right after my Wilton courses. Was ready to go. I am (was?) a violinist and used o performance pressure and teaching, so I wasn't worried about whether or not I was ready to teach Wilton. I loved it, I was good, and I did it.
Of course, who was to know that the manager was a jerk, who was anti-Wilton and positively NO help. Plus I needed the 4 minimum and canceled about four classes 'cause I only had 3 students. No store supplies for demos, no Wilton guidelines as to what to do for demos, no signs in aisles, etc. The list can go on and on and on....
Almost a year later, after having taught TWO classes (both course 1), my old instructor asked if I wanted to come to Michaels to help her. Boy was I happy!!!

I have been there for two months and LOVING it! I can't get over the difference between the stores. I got PAID for doing displays, putting together a calendar at home for the store, and the guidelines for the demo are spelled out for you - telling you exactly what to do so I don't have to think and think about what I should do at the demo.

The store most definitely makes the difference. As to whether or not you are ready to teach right after taking the classes depends on you as a person. As mentioned, I was totally confident in my ability to teach ASAP. Wilton saw my photos and thought I knew what I was doing, too. I was confident in my teaching abilities as well. But I was also a performer by nature (and a perfectionist).

At this time, after being a WMI since May 2007, I have finally taught all three courses and about to start my gumpaste class next week. ONE YEAR LATER!!! Be patient. I ended up having a years worth of practice before teaching the class even as a WMI (lol). Truth be told, I haven't done the flowers from course 3 or a lot of the stuff from the gumpaste class SINCE taking the class - but I will be fine because I had a really good teacher and I did it well when I was learning it.

Please do not think I am being conceited here - not trying to be at all - just be sure of yourself, I guess is what I am trying to say. Good luck!!

tabbiekat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabbiekat Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:18pm
post #36 of 36

I am just curious, has anyone taught at a Michaels that does not have a classroom? We just had a new store built near us and they didn't put in a classroom, but they still want to provide Wilton classes. I have applied to be an instructor, but have not heard anything back other then my confirmation that they got my info. I was just wondering how it would work to have the class in the middle of the store. And thank you for this thread, there is a lot of great information here.

Thank you

Tabitha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%