My Writing - Ugh!

Decorating By KeltoKel Updated 2 May 2008 , 12:32am by michellesArt

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 14

Any tips on how I can improve my writing? Is it just all about practice? I am sure there are some great tips people can give me. People tell me that my penmanship is nice, but when it comes to writing on cakes, I stink! Any tips on how to make my writing nicer - without using the Wilton stamp set? Also, I am left handed, which seems to cause problems for everything else in life! LOL!

Thanks!

13 replies
Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 14

I've been told that it just takes practice. BUT, I do not have pretty handwritting to begin with so how can I ever hope -even with much practice- that I'll ever be able to write nicely. I cheat and use a kopycake projector but what a pain!

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 14

First of all - I looked at your cakes and your writing does notstink. icon_confused.gif You have great placement with your messages and the size of your lettering is good. Look at mine and you will understand better what I am talking about. icon_cry.gif Your writing is actually quite pretty - if you want something fancier, just practice on a blank piece of parchment doing loops and whorls and such. But again, your writing is very nice. thumbs_up.gif

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 14

I think that your writing looks good!! I am a beginner and my writing is horrible on cakes, I only hope that I can one day write as good as you do now. Well you know what they say practice makes perfect and I have a lot of practicing to do!! icon_wink.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 14

I'm a lefty too, and boy oh boy do I SUCK at handwriting. I've tried the wilton letters, but they are a pain. I'm hoping one day I'll be able to not feel sick after writing on a cake! I have an order for a big restaurant supply co. , and am really excited as it could be a great contact. First thing DH said was, " do you have to write on it?" Gotta love the hubbies!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 14

I feel your pain (though your writing looks pretty good to me). I always go this route: do everything in "kid" writing (intentionally sloppy, backwards letters, etc) so no one knows I have such bad icing writing icon_smile.gif. Luckily I've done no fancy cakes, just stuff for friends, so it hasn't mattered (can you imagine a wedding cake with the kid writing though...haha).

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 14

I HATE writing on cakes! PERIOD. I stink flat out! I use the Wilton thingys almost faithfully...SAD

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 14

Writing is hard for me too.....It can make or break a cake.........I practice a lot on my counter top before putting it on the cake...... it helps. Plus like everyone else.....practice, practice, & more practice.

By the way....I peeked at your pics...your writing is great.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 14

I could not keep my letters straight, the same size or from looking like my hands were jiggling....so I don't do it anymore. I use scrapbooking supplies...papers, fancy sissors, stensils,cutters and print them out with an appropriate font and put the paper onto white floral wire and that is it...it makes my life so much easier....and it simply looks so much nicer than what I could do...and heck it takes up much less room on the actual cake...

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 14

I feel your pain!!! I hate my writing, too and I'm a lefty!!! I'm going to start doing the candy melt thing where you print out a font and go over it w/candy melts then peel it off the waxed paper and place it on the cake. Anything to help...I completely understand.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 14

I either trace my message on the cake with a toothpick and then follow the lines, or I put wax paper over my good handwriting and I trace the message in RI then when hard I pick it up and put it on the cake. It is not a perfect solution but better than nothing, but I do find having an icing that flows well has helped me. My thicker icings have been HORRIBLE! Just see my photos for how bad! I keep practicing, but I always try to not write in the cakes.

BTW yours looks fine!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 14

Practice, practice, practice. I cannot do cursive writting, so i've done a modified calligraphy on most of my cakes. I manage a grocery store bakery, so i have had tons of practice, and i've really noticed the difference.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:01am
post #13 of 14

Well, you are all too kind. We are always our own worst critic!

My aunt told me not to use writing to use up space - like I did in my red roses cake for Daryl and Nicole.

I also think it helps me when I don't do many loops or overlap the lines when doing cursive writing. Like, it helps to lift the tip off the cake and then continue my writing, if that makes sense.

I love the idea of using royal or chocolate and then lifting it off paper. That is a great idea!

I guess I will just keep practicing. I often end up writing my message, taking it off, and writing it again before I end up with something decent. Most writings on my cakes were after several failed attempts. I never get it right the first time!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #14 of 14

i too am afflicted with being left-handed and though it has proved to have creative pluses it has made my confidance in my writing a little shaky (lol) but really, i think it takes practice and feeling comfortable in your ability icon_wink.gif i want to try some different styles... if all else fail it's better to practice on the counter as said before than to have to (very carefully) scrap it off the cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%