Cake Ideas For A 1/2 Birthday???

Decorating By robsmantia Updated 17 May 2008 , 3:21am by DoniB

robsmantia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robsmantia Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 15

We are celebrating my 4 year old son's 1/2 birthday in June. His b-day is Dec. 30th. I wanted to do a cute cake that had something to do w/ "1/2" ie. it's cut in half or something like that. Any ideas are appreciated! Thank you.

14 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 15

There are several examples of cakes in the gallery with one missing piece out of it, typically decorated to look like you can see the layers of cake and icing. What about making a cake that was cut in half, you could easily stack one half on top of the other, and then decorate it to look like the missing pice cake. You could even decorate the top in half, if you're doing the right half of the cake it could say:

PPY
THDAY
BBY (I used Bobby as an example)

Hope this helps =) Search missing piece in the gallery for an example.
Crissy usaribbon.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 15

I agree with crystalina1977 - exactly my first thought! 1/2 a cake!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 15

We're doing that soon too. DS is Dec. 4 and DD is Dec. 30 (ages 8 and 3 respectively). Come June, half birthdays will happen here, and that half cake suggestion is great...I love the missing letters too! (Still trying to figure out how to do half a pinata! lol) Thanks for posting the question robsmantia!

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 15

I love the 1/2 letters idea!!!!! So cool icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:18am
post #6 of 15

The half cake was my first thought, too.
skichic68, Are you speaking of a real pinata? I'd cut one in half (or only make half) and saran the open end.

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:16am
post #7 of 15

So, I've never heard of the 1/2 birthday celebration. Is this common? I never had one growing up and I had never thought of doing it for my little one.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:42am
post #8 of 15

7yyrt, yup, that's exactly what I'm talking about! A half of a real pinata! I like your saran wrap idea!

alisoncooks, we're starting half birthdays this year for a few reasons. (And it's not for getting double presents like my son likes to believe! lol!) Sorry, kinda long...

Having Dec. 4 and Dec. 30 birthdays with Christmas sandwiched in the middle is kind of stressful, and honestly makes for a financially draining December. Plus, even though my daughter only turned 3 last Dec 30th, it's smack in the middle of school vacation week. At first I thought "Cool! Kids aren't in school and we can have a weekday birthday". But it hasn't worked out that way. A lot of her little friends travel for the holiday week. Lastly, my Dec kids have never been able to enjoy an outside birthday b/c of the 10 degree weather and snow. (I'm Jan 7th, so I have memories of wishing I could have a pool party when I was a kid.)

So in June, we're planning to let each of them have a birthday party that's half way to their next. It's a kid-party. Then on their real birthdays, we'll have a cake at dinnertime celebration with just our family.

~Kristen

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:53am
post #9 of 15

Totally understand. Sounds like a cool idea. I just didn't know if I was missing out on "something new" (which seems to happen more and more frequently icon_smile.gif)...I mean, I just found out about Hannah Montana and High School Musical like 2 months ago, haha.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 15

i've never heard of calling it the 1/2 birthday either but i love the party ideas, my daughters were born on dec 17 and jan 3 and we do celebrate with the family close to their birthdays but we let them party with their friends in may for all the same reasons, it's nice out they can have a better pick of party locations and it's not so stressing on the check book.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 15

I have always wanted to make this cake:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=129693
It would be great for a 1/2 birthday!
I PM'd the creator in the past and they told me how they did it (I've forgotten now!)

amyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyf Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:42am
post #12 of 15

A friend of mine made a 1/2 cake for a party. It was cute.
I love the idea. icon_smile.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:58am
post #13 of 15

You are an awesome mommy!!! I wish mine had thought of that, although for about the last 6 yrs, I keep saying I'm moving my b-day to June or July, because in 10yrs I have not gotten cake, and I have not gotten a present, my b-day is Dec 7th. About a week after my b-day, my 8 yr old asked me to make a cake, so I did, and I iced it, and then she told me to go away so she could decorate my bday cake. It was very sweet of her.

For adult friends, we have done suprise parties close to their half b-days in important years (30,35,21,40,50). Everyone is always very suprised!

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:19am
post #14 of 15

Skichic68, what an awesome idea. Your kids are lucky that you are so imaginative, because I would not have thought of that.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:21am
post #15 of 15

I never really though to do that, though one of my best friends and my father both have Christmas birthdays... it would be great to do a '1/2' birthday for both of them, since they get gipped all the time because of the holiday. icon_razz.gif

Though to be fair, we have 'Christmas morning', where we open presents and eat a good Christmas dinner. Then, promptly at 3 pm, we change the decorations in the dining room and turn off the Christmas lights, so that we can have Dad's birthday and leave Christmas behind for an hour or two. icon_smile.gif Not the same as a 'real' birthday party, though, so I'm loving the idea of giving him a 1/2 b-day. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%