Topsy Turvy Cakes

Business By karateka Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm by FromScratch

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 7

I have a pricing request for a topsy cake. They want a very small one, so would probably be a 6 and 9in 2 tier number. My questions is: do you guys use your normal price per serving, or do you upcharge it for the topsy turvy aspect? And if you upcharge, by about how much? I generally charge about 2.50 buttercream and 3.50 for fondant/serving.

6 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 7

I would charge the regular. I don't believe in upcharging for design - unless it's something I have to buy something extra like gumpaste, chocolate, etc..

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 7

I charge 50% more because where I would normally bake two 2" cakes/tier, I bake three 2" cakes. I think topsy turvys look better with taller tiers. I don't see it as a design fee it's just that the more cake I have to bake the more it's going to cost.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 7

I upcharge b/c I have more time invovled in carving the cakes and going back and forth between the freezer/fridge along with baking an extra layer for the tier. Normally I only use 2 layers of cake/tier and on topsy turvy I use three layers/tier

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:05am
post #5 of 7

i charge $5.00 per serving and only do them in fondant (regular price is $3.00, about to go up to $3.25). i bake 30% more cake for a topsy turvy, and i spend quite a bit more time carving adn shaping them.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, I guess I should add that when I mean charge regular, I would for all the serving I am making. For example, charging the number of servings a 8, 9, 10 would feed since that is what I am baking. TOTALLY agree with that!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 7

I definitely charge more for the topsy turvy cakes.. they have a lot more going on with them.. there's carving and shaping and a lot more steps involved. I only offer them in fondant because they are easier that way. They start at $6/serving.. my normal fondant price is $5/serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%