How Do I "doctor" A Box Cake Mix??

Decorating By debo_04 Updated 5 May 2008 , 6:29pm by vww104

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 7

I'm fairly new at this - started decorating when for my daughters second birthday and have started getting requests from friends. I have always used box mixes just because I never had to worry really about anyone complaining that it wasn't from "scratch" and they always came out good. I have just started reading posts on CC and have seen a lot about "doctoring" cake mixes with pudding, more eggs, sour cream, buttermilk.....Can anyone tell me if this makes the cake more moist? Is it still going to hold up under fondant? I tried a "scratch" cake last weekend and it was dry and very tasteless so I'm just not ready to tackle that again yet and I unfortunatly have a wedding cake icon_cry.gif I have to make this weekend. I'd like to try "doctoring" one up if anyone can tell me the correct amounts to use to do it.

I'm lovin' this site, you all are very kind and helpful. It's much appreciated by the newby's!!

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

Here's a comprehensive thread which includes just about everything that can be added to a box cake mix:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-68873-.html
(Pudding, Dream Whip, meringue powder & more...Also secret to fluffier cake mix.)

If you need dependable (moist & delicious) recipes for wedding cake:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4
(Expanded flavors version of WASC cake.)

Original WASC cake recipe:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584319-.html

Using DH white cake mixes (and the expanded recipe) the batter yield will be a tad over 14 cups which is great for large pans or multiple smaller pans.

HTH

debo_04 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 7

AWESOME! Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I love the "print topic" ability, I've got lots to read up on to get ready for my wedding cake!

I really appreciate the collection fo posts, these will be really helpful.

Deb

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 7

Glad to help; it was my pleasure. icon_biggrin.gif

If you need additional assistance just post again. (There are always CC addicts online 24/7.) icon_lol.gif

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 7

I use the enhanced cake formula from the recipe section and love it. People comment on the homemade cake and I just smile icon_rolleyes.gif

debo_04 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 7

YYEEAHHH, Its OVER! I made the Western wedding cake, and used the "enhanced cake formula" and received rave reviews on the taste. Unfortunatly I didn't even get to taste it! Thanks so much to all of you that participated in the forum, it made all the difference and is SOOO appreciated. Deb

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 7

If you want to doctor cake mixes there is really no reason to reinvent the wheel, consider purchasing any of Anne Byrn's Cake Mix Doctor books, I have tried many of her recipes with good results. Just this weekend I made her NY Cheesecake using cake mix as the crust and it was great!

Also, the cake mix extender recipe from this site is great for cupcakes, I usually get about 29 cupcakes rather than the 18 from 1 box. Everyone loves these cupcakes. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%