Ka And Box Cake Mixes Q

Decorating By bafishr Updated 6 May 2008 , 5:34am by maturtle6

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 19

O.K. a question for all you KA users. Do you use your KA for box recipes? And how long do you mix?
I just used my KA for the first time. I didn't mix as long as I do when using a hand mixer and the cake fell and doesn't seem to be cooked in the middle :cry Is there anything different ya'll do?

18 replies
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 19

I use a modified box mix using 4 eggs, box of instant pudding, 1/2 cup oil, 1 1/4 c. water (sometimes additional tsp. of vanilla, or other flavoring addition and beat at medium speed for 2 min. Never had a problem.

CakesbyGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyGeorge Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 19

I have always used my KA for box mixes. I follow the instructions on the box. I mix on low 30 sec and then I mix on speed 4 for 2 minutes.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #4 of 19

I always use a hand mixer for cake mixes, it never mixes completely because of the bumb in the middle of my bowl.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 19

I prefer my hand mixer for cake batter also. Makeds it easy to scrape all the dry mix off the bottom and sides!

StaceyRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyRN Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:09am
post #6 of 19

I always use the my KA. I also mix on low for 30 sec and 2 minutes on 4....I stir to the bottom(to get the extras around the "bump", and then mix for another 30 seconds.

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #7 of 19

i always use my kitchen aid, i mix all the wet ingredients first and then add the dry to them. i mix till it looks right.

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:18am
post #8 of 19

Same here always use my ka and just scrap the bottom! Haven't had any problems yet!

pearliesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearliesmom Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #9 of 19

I also use the KA and have no problems. I do have a problem with it falling in the middle when not baked long enough.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #10 of 19

been using my KA for 12 years to mix box mixes , whether using directions from box or using cake mix enchancer recipes. i mix for 1 minute on low... scrape the sides and bottom, then mix on 4 for 2 more minutes.. then scrape sides and bottom again and pour into pans .

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:35am
post #11 of 19

bafishr - what size pan did you use, what temp. did you bake and for how long. I'm thinking you just didn't leave the cake bake long enough for the size pan? Also If larger than an 8" pan, did you use a flower nail in the center? I use my KA all the time and it works fine with mix or scratch cakes. I don't think the KA caused your problem. Did you make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to make sure all of the dry ingredients were incorporated into the batter?

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:37am
post #12 of 19

Wow - I feel like I might be doing something wrong now. I just put mine on stir until all the ingredient are wet and then step by step I take it up to speed 6 and if it's 1 mix - I mix for 2:33, if it's more I mix for 3:33. I haven't had any problems but I'm definitely mixing at a higher speed and for longer. I have a 6 quart KA.

Tammi

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #13 of 19

I have always used box mixes. I just beat medium speed until all blended. You do have to be careful to mix everything from the bottom. I usually stop it in the middle and scrape the bottom and mix a little more. I think it is you temp in you oven or needing to use a flower nail/heating core in your pan. Try lowering your temp about 25 degrees. Hope this helps. Congrats on becoming a KA owner. I love mine.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #14 of 19

I have 2 KA mixers. One professional and other Artisian. Never had any problems. I mix a few seconds on stir then take it up to 4 and mix for 2 to 3 mins depending on what type of cake I'm making. I do scrape with my rubber spatula too.

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:39pm
post #15 of 19

Thank you for all the help icon_biggrin.gif Price, I used the contour pan and baked for an hour at 325. The edges were starting to burn and I could smell cake icon_confused.gif so I took it out. No, I didn't use the flower nail icon_redface.gif I will try that, as I will be baking another tonight.

CakesbyGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyGeorge Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #16 of 19

I use contour pans a lot. I bake at 325 and they always take more than an hour. Usually 1 hr 10 min with chocolate cake sometimes taking longer. I test with my finger when they have baked an hour. If the cake springs back, I test with a tooth pick. I do not test with a toothpick until the cake springs back when touched. I have found that if I use a toothpick too soon, the chocolate cake will sink in the middle.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 19

My KA's are the first and only mixers I have ever had and I've never had a problem with my cakes using box or scratch.

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #18 of 19

The GREAT thing about cake mixes is that it is really hard to overmix them! They are made with flexibility and forgiveness in mind. It is not like baking from scratch where the ingredients need to be treated like the "Princess and the Pea." Meaning, if you don't treat them "just right" at every step they will whine and complain about your method not being correct...and then you are left with an inferior cake! I agree that you use the flower nail AND I also suggest that you use baking strips. I thought these were a scam until I bought my first pair acouple of weeks ago...no crusty edges and an almost totally flat cake surface! It was miraculous and wonderful!

maturtle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maturtle6 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:34am
post #19 of 19

I have used a rose nail upside down in the cake- it always comes out flat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%