I Am So Tired Of Covering My Cake Boards, Any Alternative?

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 3:36am by Denise

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 22

I really HATE covering the cake boards I put between layers with foilâ¦Iâm sick of it.
Is there anywhere I can buy already âpreparedâ boards?
Dunno, like a waxy kind of board that doesnât require to be covered?

Thanks in advance.

21 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 22

Are you talking about boards between stacked cakes? If so, I dont' cover them at all.

And yes, they do make wax coated cake cardboards.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 22

Thanks Debi.

Really? not at all??

Yes, the boards between stacked layers.
I get mine at Michael's in the 'Wilton isle' and I haven't be able to find waxed boards online...I guess I've been looking in the wrong places.

indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 22

Nope. never covered 'em. I always figured the pretty foil was to make 'em pretty and if no one is going to see it because it's inside a stacked cake, then I'm not wasting the money.

My cakes sit for a couple of days before the wedding and I also cut the cakes at the wedding, so I can see for myself that the cardboard does not disintegrate into a big soggy nothing .... they hold up just fine.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 22

I don't cover them either.. no need. icon_smile.gif

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 22

don't cover mine either. for a second when I read your post I got nervous thinking I had been really messing up by not covering them. thank goodness for debi.

thank you debi for sharing your extensive expertise.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 22

Funny, it has never even occurred to me that I should be covering the cake boards inside the cake. I just use the regular cardboard rounds.

I am right with you on the big visible cake board - get really fed up with having to prettify those. I don't have cake shops where I live so can't readily buy cake drums so have to use boards I cut myself.

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 22

don't cover them, really? I always assumed that I had to or the cardboard would get soggy. Yay, I'm so tired of covering them too, now I won't!

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 22

I also have never covered them. I would hate it if someone cut the foil or whatever with the cake and someone ended up with it in their mouth.

The cardboard rounds work perfect for me.

indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsilvus

I always assumed that I had to or the cardboard would get soggy.

clsilvus, please allow me to use this as a great example of why I encourage all cakers, if they've never cut one of their wedding cakes, to cut at least 2 a year, so they can see the taking-apart part ... so they can see how the assembly affects the disassembly, etc.

It will add a LOT to your experience, expertise and credibility! thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:56am
post #11 of 22

i dont cover either.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #12 of 22

I get my wax covered cake boards at Hobby Lobby. They come in several scalloped sizes of rounds. Let me go see what the brand is from the last pack I purchased.

OK, the label says they are premium quality white plastic. They look like wax covered corregated cardboard to me ( who knew ). The company name is Curtis Wagner Plastics Corp., Houston, TX.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #13 of 22

I always cover! I didn't once and the boards got a little soggy and flexible. Maybe it's the super duper FL humidity. Everything gets soggy here. I have since started using foam board. Much sturdier and no flexing.

annieliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieliz Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #14 of 22

I believe I got some at Country Kitchen.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:15am
post #15 of 22

I DONT COVER MINE EATHER NEVER HAVE.BUT YOU CAN GO ON LINE PAPERMART.COM THEY HAVE BOEXES AND BOARD OR PATTYCAKES.COM .JUST SEARCH CAKE BOXES AND BOARDS, HOPE IT HELPS..

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:19am
post #16 of 22

question! Okay, foam board? As in the Foam Core board that you can but at walmart? with foam between what looks like bristol board? (just to clarify for myself) You don't have to cover that either?

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:47am
post #17 of 22

OK - so, are you saying that you do not cover the Wilton cardboard rounds?

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:53am
post #18 of 22

Never covered mines either. I have noticed a difference in the boards that Wilton make and the one's I get at my local decorating store. (Not to mention the boxes you pick up at Michael's too). Mary Carters (Bakinstuf.com) has some sturdy boards and boxes. And the boards do come wax covered. But I don't always buy from them and I never cover the boards either...too afraid of foil and tape getting all greased up and sliding right into a customers mouth. OMG!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:41am
post #19 of 22

inydebi, do you use SPS? because i thought only those who use SPS don't need to cover their boards.

indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm
post #20 of 22

Dont' use SPS.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:25am
post #21 of 22

i bought wax covered circles from i think it's called bpbox.com i have some issues with paranoia (i don't do a whole lotta tiered cakes)but if debi doesn't cover, i'm down with that. i'll try it next week on my kids' b-day cake.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:36am
post #22 of 22

I don't cover them either. I use foam core board from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It is clean and seems to me more sturdy than cardboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%