Piping Script

Decorating By Antgirl Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm by plbennett_8

Antgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antgirl Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 5

What's the best icing to use for piping cursive words on a cake? I have a lovely font that I printed out from the computer but am having a heck of a time making it look good using icing.
The letters look almost like calligraphy -- some parts of the letters are pencil thin, others are wide like ribbon. Does anyone have tips for doing this? I need it to look fancy rather than printed.

4 replies
Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

Personnally, I would just use a thinned buttercream icing, using a tip #3 maybe... And lots of practice on waxed paper before attempting on the cake! I find that writting is the hardest thing for me to do on my cakes. Good luck!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 5

I haven't tried it myself, but I would assume either a royal icing or a medium BC would work. Hopefully one of CC's cake geniuses will have an answer.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5

To write calligraphy style, put your icing (royal or bc - or even chocolate) in a disposable piping bag and cut off the tip. Since the disposable bags are 'flat' as opposed to parchment bags, which are 'round', you'll be able to achieve the thick and thin lines.

If you're right handed, hold the bag so that the tip is vertical, but slightly slanted, with the top at 11:00 and the bottom at 5:00. In other words, the tip points to the left corner.

Now, pipe your script without changing the position of the piping bag.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 5

If you're using buttercream, add piping gel... It does help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%