Help...has Anyone Done A Football Helmet?

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm by Misdawn

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:21am
post #1 of 8

Someone is requesting a ohio state buckeye 3D football helmet cake...I know all things buckeye because my hubby is a BIG fan but I have never made a helmet cake....if you have made one...PLEASE help me know how to do it and if you have any pics too! Thanks so much! Also...they want to know a price...how much should I charge?

April :0)

7 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #2 of 8

I did a helment once, and it turned out okay except for the face mask. I took two 6" cakes and carved them down a bit, then carved into one end of the cake for the inside of the helmet. I tried to do a RI face mask, but it broke. (It was my first time working with RI, and I didn't make extras and didn't dry it long enough.) I ended up just making a "kickers helmet" and drew a BC line across the base where the mask was to go.

It wasn't that difficult to do ~ if I had it to do over again I would definitely cover it in MMF instead of buttercream. I would also make several RI face masks in plenty of time for them to dry. Give it a try ~ there are several helmets in the gallery for you to look at!

<S>

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #3 of 8

I haven't made one, but I had saved this pic for future reference (done by KittisKakes) - my husband is a big Redskins fan and I had hoped to make this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=20112

Here's another one she made: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=38645

Take a look through the comments, there's lots of info on how she made them. thumbs_up.gif You could also try sending KittisKakes a pm.

HTH

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #4 of 8

I made a Steelers football helmet for my hubbys B-day, it is in my photos. It was the first one I had done, but I was really happy with the way it turned out. I used two 8" rounds with a dome cake on the top. After I stacked them, I cut one side of it straight down for the front of the helmet. Then, for the face mask, I rolled some fondant into "snakes" or "sausages" (whatever you want to call them) & then I inserted floral wire through the middle of it so they would hold their shape. Then, I carefully shaped them into the shapes I needed in order to make the face mask & set the mask just in front of the cake so that it rested itself onto the helmet & looked like it was attached. The rest of the cake was frosted with buttercream & I made fondant logos for the sides of the helmet. Since the party was at my house, I didn't have to transport it, but I think it would have traveled nicely. Just be sure that nobody tries to eat the fondant face mask with the wires in it!

estherwheat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherwheat Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #5 of 8

I did one for our high school football team and was stumped as to what to use for the face mask- so I went to the school and the coaches actually gave me one! I used 8" rounds stacked then carved. Be sure to have an actual photo handy since the shape is not what you would first expect. The back is angled in.
The sad thing is that of all the people who took pictures of the cake, I couldn't get one and my husband's camera didn't work either!!! It was one of my best cakes so far. I put the helmet on a full sheet cake which I had "pulled grass" and it was really cute..... A lot of people wouldn't cut it because they thought that I had placed a real helmet on top of a cake!

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #6 of 8

I made two. Each had two 6 inch rounds and half of the small ball pan. They are in my photos, but it isn't a great picture. The face masks were gumpaste, but they didn't dry enough so they broke...I mended them with RI and they held up fine.

Before I added the ball pan top, I cut part of the top 6inch round off. It was cut at a downward diagonal angle so that the ball pan would sit further back to make it more round. Kind of hard to explain, but it worked. If you need anything just pm me.

They are covered in fondant which was a chore-- icon_smile.gif

Goodluck!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:24am
post #7 of 8

I made one recently. I used a stainless steel bowl (make two, one for top and one for bottom) and a 10" round for the middle. After that, there is just a tiny bit of sculpting. Cut out a slight part in the front for the face mask and then in the back at the bottom to get the correct curvature. I created the diagram below to illustrate where the cuts are. The red lines are the actual cake layers and the black lines are the cuts I made.

I covered mine in MMF. And let me tell you it was not easy!!! I did two practice cakes and it never worked. I guess I just kinda got lucky on the "real" cake because it worked like a charm on the first try. I would definitely advise at least one practice cake.

For the face mask I used a wire hanger cut and bent into the shape I needed then kinda squished the gumpaste around it.

Good luck! Post pics - I'd love to see them!
LL

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 8

Forgot to mention...I put a dowel for support. I put it in the center, slightly toward the back. This helps keep the cake from falling forward after you make the cut for the facemask. I traveled thirty miles on country roads with my helmet cake and it was just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%