Opportunity To Teach High School Students... Ideas Please!!

Decorating By cohenandlillysmom Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm by Bijoudelanuit

cohenandlillysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohenandlillysmom Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 2

On May 9th I have been asked to conduct 2- 1 Hour classes about cake decorating. There will be 15 students in each session. I plan on giving each student 4 cupcakes to decorate on. So heres my question----
What in the world to I teach them to do? (Remember there are 15 students and I will need to buy 3-4 sets of tips and such.)

Second, my other idea was to bring in a 3 tier cake and have each student create something out of fondant that represents their school or themselves. Im not thrilled with the idea only because this is an opportunity to turn young teens onto the wonderful world of cake designing and decorating and I take this very serious! I want them to walk out of the session thinking of cake decorating as a serious profession. (this is also a great way of advertising to seniors. icon_lol.gif )

Please help with any ideas.

Thanks so much!

1 reply
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 2

I did this last year. I went in and everyone had a single 8 inch layer. We began with torting and filling, then frosting it. We did a basic shell border and writing the first day. Some figure piping/stars to decorate. The teacher had purchased tips/colors/bags for her classroom. The next time they more of the same, plus roses. One hour really isn't a lot of time. If you're doing cupcakes you may wish to show them to fill them and ice them with a 1M tip. Keep it basic! It was a lot of fun and it was enough to open the door of curiosity!
Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%