Simple Syrup Thread... The How To's Of Simple Syrup!!!

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm by audrey0522

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 26

I have not used simple syrup very many times, and so far I've just made plain simple syrup . I know that there are tons of ways to flavor it and use it. Please share your favorite syrup and how you use it!

Thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

25 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 26

I just use a liquer that matches or compliments my filling flavors and add it to the simple syrup after it is cooled but I actually rarely use simple syrups. It depends on the cake.

peacockplace Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 26

Do you only add simple syrup after the cakes are cooled? How much do you usually add?

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 26

I always wait until the cakes are cooled. Generally I bake one day. The next day I level the cakes and brush on the simple syrup, wait 15 to 20 minutes and start filling and assembling the cake. Ice it and decorate. I just brush it on until it looks like I'v got an even coating of it on the cake. I don't try to pour it on -- just paint it on with a basting brush. I like the silicone brushes because they are so easy to wash. The amount used depends on the cake and how quickly it is soaking it up.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 26

I just add the liquer after the syrup cools and brush it on my leveled cake. I usually only use it on white cakes as they tend to be a little more on the dry side sometimes (cant help that with scratch white cakes). The syrup really helps. Use any flavor to compliment your cake.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 26

Is there a guideline how much to use? When I first tried it the cake looked moistened enough but when we were eating it I wasn't satisfied with the moistness. (Actually I still don't know how much "moistness" should I expect from the syrup.)

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 26

Tiptop's top tips and lowdown on simple syrup.

I create mine with equal parts water and sugar. Heat over stove until sugar is dissolved then I add flavoring of some sort: vanilla, or lemon, or mint, or raspberry or some liquors. I must say that this is a flavor to taste method - you know dribble in as seen on the Food Network cooking shows.

I add this to all of my home made scratch cakes as they tend to be drier and denser then box.

I cool the cake and add cooled syrup with a pastry brush to the tops, sides and bottom of my leveled cakes then I wrap in plastic and foil and flash freeze in the moisture. After thawing I then add my BC crumb coat and my fondant.

As I do a lot of detailed work, I like using simple syrup to keep the cake fresher for any cake but especially for my Australian String or Lambeth decorating.

HTH everyone.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 26

I use Simple Syrup all the time...
I make my own usually.. It's just water, sugar and extract... heat it up until the sugar melts, then that's it !!!

I use a spray bottle to apply it on my cake..

It's really up to you to judge how much moistness you want in your cake. If you think your cake is somewhat dry , then add quite a bit. I poke my cake w/ toothpick first.

you may also use TORANI, Italian Cream Syrups.. they are already flavored.. It will work just as well...

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 26

It sounds like it is just personal judgement on how much to use but how can a novice determine how much to use? I have never used it, but since I have to "travel" with my cakes to family functions, I think it would help
the cakes. If I need a cake for Sat. but have to have it all finished on Thursday night, can I use the simple syrup, ice with buttercream and then freeze the cake until Thurs and cover with fondant and decorate that evening? Thanks!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 26

i always use simple syrup too, a must when you bake from scratch in my opinion. i torte all my cakes too which i think is a must! icon_wink.gif i bake in the morning on thursday, by the time i'm done baking (often 3-6 hours depending on the wedding schedule for the week) the first cakes are cool enough to start torting. i torte and brush simple syrup on all layers of the cake. i usually add vanilla to the syrup for all my flavors except strawberry and lemon (those i use strawberry and lemon!) i like a really moist cake, so i add a LOT of syrup. i'll use 2-3 cups on a single wedding cake. i don't worry too much about flavoring, i think my cakes are flavored well to begin with. i mostly use it for the moistness factor.

peacockplace Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 26

Thank you all for your replies! I can't wait to try different flavor combinations. Does anyone have an outstanding flavoring for simple syrup?

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 26

i have not tried the simple syrup but i always wondered about using it.
My question would be kind of what audrey0522 had asked: "how can a novice determine how much to use?"

do any of you have an idea to how much per cake should be used before it's to much to the point your cake is all soggy and not moist any more. i thought i saw something in here before that explained it but it was in Spanish.

one more question when you soak it does the syrup only stay on top of the cake or does it go all the way down and soak the bottom or does it even out.

thanks
shaddi

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 26

I am curious too. How much is too much?

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:13am
post #14 of 26

As per the book: Cakes, by Williams-Sonoma, it states to use 3 tablespoons syrup per layer. I have tried this & the cakes are moist enough. This was the quantity for 9 inch cakes. You can of course add more for larger sized cakes. Hope this helps.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:38am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

You may also use TORANI, Italian Cream Syrups.. they are already flavored.. It will work just as well...

I LOVE the Torani syrups-- we add them to our hot cocoa!! Now do you just use them straight on the cake-- or mix is with water Thank you so much everyone for sharing their knowledge!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #16 of 26

BTW-- Thank you for this thread! It was all the questions and answers i ever wanted to know about simple Syrup!! Thank you again everyone!!

fondantgrl Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:18pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

You may also use TORANI, Italian Cream Syrups.. they are already flavored.. It will work just as well...

I LOVE the Torani syrups-- we add them to our hot cocoa!! Now do you just use them straight on the cake-- or mix is with water Thank you so much everyone for sharing their knowledge!

YES, just use Torani just the way it is.. no mixing, no heating and no nothing.. icon_smile.gif

twinkletwinkledliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletwinkledliz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 26

where would you find the torani syrups?

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 26

i love the spray bottle idea.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:39pm
post #20 of 26

the spray bottle idea is so good. i wanna try this too. i find my cakes tend to be on the dry side too. thanks for sharing everyone!

fondantgrl Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkledliz

where would you find the torani syrups?

Torani can be found at Cost Plus and most groceries. They have them by the coffee grinding section.. that place where you ground your own coffee.

Yes, the spray bottle works well.. IMO , it distributes the syrup evenly on your cake

twinkletwinkledliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletwinkledliz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #22 of 26

ohh thank you...i have never seen then but then again i rarely drink coffee, They have tonssss of flavors, i wanna try them all outicon_smile.gif

SHADDI Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm
post #23 of 26

I found it. it's by awiscar

Here is the amount of syrup per cake. it's in Spanish so I'll tell you in English as best as I can on what the words mean:

tazas = cups
redondos = circle
rectangulares = rectangle
cuadrados = square
figuras/wilton = wilton Character cake Pans

after it say wilton i don't know what it's talking about.

i hope this help you guys.
I saved it to my fav. for when i'm ready to us syrup in my cake.

shaddi

SHADDI Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:03am
post #24 of 26
SHADDI Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #25 of 26

here is another one: by mauca in spanish

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_796103.html

were it say:
tamano = size (of the cake pan)
cantidad/syrup por tamano = amount of syrup per cake
cantidad de rendimiento por persona = amount of serving for people per cake pan

their is this other one by axelito2007 in spanish also
but it adds prices to it but the prices are by 1.25 BC and 2.00 fondant

this are great cause it has how much of syrup per size of cake...

shaddi

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #26 of 26

I may be over looking something but I don't see the thread from BTW?
The chart and translation will help tremendously! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%