Qulit Pattern On Fondant-Help Needed Please.

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 8 May 2008 , 1:33pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 10

I did a search here, but many of the links were either not working, or just didn't have the info I need. If you can offer any tips, I would be grateful!

I am wondering how to make the diamond quilt pattern on the side of a fondant cake. I want to leave the top flat. I am making a cake for my daughter's Communion next weekend and want to do that pattern with the little pearls at each intersection. I've seen so many cakes posted here that have that and they are very beautiful.

I do not have time to order anything. Locally, we do not have a cake supply store, just Joann's, Michaels, and AC Moore. I think they all only carry Wilton stuff, so that's pretty much what I can buy at the moment.

I do have the Wilton Ribbon Cutter and Embosser Set. I have not used it yet and it did not come with any instructions. Is this something I can use?

Thank you so much for your help!
Barbaranne

9 replies
sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 10

bump... I am looking for the same information....

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 10

What I have done is when I put the fondant on I quickly give it a god smoothing and then I mark little dots on the top and bottom of my cakes and then with my frosting spreader I gently push it in making sure to touch a dot on the top and bottom. You have to move quickly though cause the fondant will tear if you take to long. If that happens make some buttercream the same color as your fondant and touchup with it. Hope this makes sense.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 10

From what I have read, it is done with the diamond impression mat. Since you do not have time to order anything, you could probably pull off the same effect with a ruler and a lot of patience or make a template of the pattern or a stencil and use a toothpick to transfer the pattern onto the cake

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 10

since you do not have time to buy an impression mat, use skewers pressed at diagonals

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 10

great idea, SugarShack! I'm in the same boat too with a cake this week- so i will definately try this technique, thanks!

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 10

It's a little putter-putsy, but you could use a diamond shaped cookie cutter too. I have all the card cutters(diamond, heart, spades, clubs), and it can be done, but hurry or your fondand will get dry.

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:18am
post #8 of 10

Great idea Barbarajean... Thank you

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #9 of 10

I use the three diamond quilter on fondant cakes. If you want more info, please e-mail me at: [email protected]

Because of time, you can just use a ruler and draw the lines....

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I guess I didn't have it set up to notify me when there was a reply, so I thought there were none!

Thanks for your help!!

I think I am going to order an impression mat for the future. I really like this look and think it will be easy as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%