After This Pic Was Taken...the Bow Fell Off And Broke...what

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 4:46am by beccakelly

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 5

After this pic below...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1211805.html

the bow on the ribbon going around the second to bottom tier kind of broke and fell down...how exactly should I put it up there without it falling down...i am thinking I made it to fast and put it up there too soon...maybe it needed more drying time ????? any help would be awesome! Thanks!

April :0)

4 replies
Steffen74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffen74 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 5

It should be totally dry I would think. Surely there's someone out there who can tell you for sure how to best secure it!

Here's a bump at least!

Cute cake, btw.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #3 of 5

Awww... what a sweet cake! Just beautiful! I'm sorry the bow committed suicide.

Of course, you're right. The bow needs to be completely dry if it's going to hang in mid-air. It looks like you rolled the fondant thin enough. It shouldn't have been too heavy.

How did you attach the bow to the cake? I like to use melted chocolate. It sticks like glue! You can also attach a toothpick to the bow. Poke a hole in the back of the bow, add a dot of chocolate, then insert the toothpick so the the dot of chocolate glues the toothpick to the hole. This will prevent the toothpick from sliding all the way through the front of the bow. Then, use chocolate to glue the bow on, in addition to inserting the toothpick into the cake.

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:44am
post #4 of 5

Thanks Diane!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 5

i did a wedding cake covered in bows hanging in mid air like that. (you can view my pics to see it, its called marissa). i made them out of gumpaste, and right after forming them i stuck a toothpick in the back. then i let them dry on top of cooling racks raised on aluminum cans so that the toothpick could hang down and still dry inside the bow. when they were dry i pushed the toothpick into the cake and i used royal icing as a glue on the back. that cake was transported COMPLETELY assembled (stacked, deco, everything). not a single bow drooped, sagged, or fell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%