Help With Coloring Fondant

Decorating By Evone Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 10:08am by Mike1394

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 9

I want to make my own fondant but everytime I do it never turns out. I also need to make a black fondant but everytime I do it the fondant comes out all weird like it pulls apart like play dough. Not stable at all. Does it matter if instead of glucose I used corn syrup? AHHHHHHH I hate waste. This seems so easy but it is just horrible. Can you help anyone????? Any one at all!

8 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 9

What stage are you adding the coloring at??

Evone Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I tried it in the liquid stage after the corn syrup and gelatine and water and glycerine. That didn't work so we put it in when it was just firm enough and not totally liquid. When should I put it in?

cake-angel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 9

One thing I would suggest if you are trying to get a dark color is to not add the glycerin to the recipe. Still add the color to the liquids but skip the glycerin as your gel colors have glycerin in them already. If you add both it does become very soft and fussy. You may also find that you need to add more icing sugar than usual to get the fondant to the right texture. I always do this by feel so I cannot say an exact amount of sugar. It also varies according to the humidity of the room when I am making it.

Evone Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 9

I used regular food coloring we didn't have gel color. Have you ever used regular wilton color in your fondant?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 9

Oh! That's likely to be part of your problem. Adding that much liquid into your fondant is likely to change the consistency. My suggestion there would be to use the food coloring as part of your liquid to bloom your gelatin. That way you're not adding to much more liquid to your fondant.

cake-angel-your suggestion about the glycerin is a good one. I"m going to keep that in mind next time I make black fondant.

Evone Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 9

Omgosh I never thought of that. Thanks so much. weird how something so simple is never even thought of. I am going to give it a try right now thanks again. Cross your fingers. LOL

cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:59am
post #8 of 9

I hope your fondant worked out this time. Wilton colors also have glycerin in them. It takes a lot more Wilton color to get a deep color and it will affect the flavor as well. If you are making dark colors it would be best to try and get hold of some americolor.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:08am
post #9 of 9

Is the fondant workable before you put color in? If not your using to much P sugar. Try using just 3/4 of the P sugar. Then let it rest for a lil bit. Wrap it up, and just let it sit 1/2 hour. If it is to soft knead in some more P sugar. It's easier to add more sugar then to try, and take some out.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%