This Is Why Wal-Mart Sells Cakes So Cheap!

Decorating By dharmasfriend Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm by NikkiDoc

dharmasfriend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dharmasfriend Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 43

I was astonished when I saw this. I guess I just always assumed that a person actually did the icing on grocery store cakes. Oh well, ya know what happens when you assume! Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_pBPsDK1E&feature=related

42 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 43

That machine can't do it as good as me though!!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 43

I've seen that before. I've showed it to everyone I know! Makes you appreciate a hand-made cake that much more.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 43

Here's another reason why Walmart cakes are so cheap:

http://www.thisisjuststupid.com/stupid-companies/wal-mart-cake/

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 43

i can't believe it-it makes it look even more cheap and cheesy that before-is that possible? nothing is better than handmade from the heart cakes

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #6 of 43

Yeah most of the store cakes come in at least pre-frosted. They have limited frosting for name writing and such...My mom got a 50th birthday cake a grocery store for a co-worker last week and asked for a "darker color icing for the writing" and this very young girl used BRIGHT YELLOW and said "thats all I got". My mom said it looked like a 5 year old wrote it and it looked bad against the blue border and stuff.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #7 of 43

AS I READ ON SOMEONES PROFILE THAT I LOVE IS .....GOOD CAKES AREN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP CAKE AREN'T GOOD..NOW THAT SAYS IT ALL.....

staceyssweettreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyssweettreats Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

Here's another reason why Walmart cakes are so cheap:

http://www.thisisjuststupid.com/stupid-companies/wal-mart-cake/

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

I just got that in an email. Too funny! icon_lol.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:52am
post #9 of 43

As nasty as it is. It is pretty cool. icon_biggrin.gif I keep thinking if the shell squirter had a glitch. LOLOL A person walks by gets squirted in the eye. LOLOL

Mike

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:32am
post #10 of 43

There's nothing better than a cake made with love and that "special touch". Plus, most of the time, those cakes taste nasty!! Not ours...right ya'all?!
icon_wink.gif
Nancy

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:37am
post #11 of 43

My hubby worked in Kmart's bakery (that's actually how I met him, I was a cashier). One day a woman came in and asked for a cake that said "Happy Delated Birthday!" So he went ahead and did it. And she came through my line with it and I told her I'd never heard of a delated birthday, and she said that was when you were delayed and didn't get a cake until late...so delated...and she was so sure of it!

We had a good laugh over that one later that night!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:55am
post #12 of 43

[quote="dharmasfriend"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA_pBPsDK1E&feature=related[/quote]

NO WAY!!!! I'm in the process of doing 180 cookies for my sister's wedding this weekend and the shell squirter would have really come in handy for the pain in my hand.

But then it wouldn't be homemade (and as good). icon_biggrin.gif

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:32pm
post #13 of 43

"Delated Birthday!"

Too funny!

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 43

LOL!!!

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 43

While I agree that there's nothing like a cake baked from the heart. I do, however, think that this is amazing. I thought the machine did better than expected. For a standard non-decorated cake, I think it looked pretty good.

It's kind of like seeing candy bars and candy made on Food Network's Unwrapped. No one is hand making a Snicker's bar. It's just not economical. Automated processes are getting better and faster these days. It doesn't necessarily mean that the product is bad.

Having said that and seen this machine, it provides good justification for home-bakers to charge more that what you'd pay for a Walmart cake. We're people not machines. We can't possibly work that fast.

Come to think of it, Walmart must be making a fortune on their cakes.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:25pm
post #16 of 43

Can we post pics of people on here in the forums? If so and if ya'll wanna see, I've got a really sweet picture of one of my "people machines". icon_biggrin.gif

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #17 of 43

I totally agree that it makes people feel good to know someone took the time to make them a cake and painstakingly decorate it. BUT those youtube videos are AMAZING (did you see the cupcake and sheet cake ones also?). That's just the way technology goes--just like everything else--as it becomes easier to mass produce, your quality gets effected. BUT (as I know it's been said before) not everyone can afford (or even cares to have) a custom cake. And--truth be told--some of those WalMart cakes taste pretty good icon_smile.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm
post #18 of 43

I actually really love the taste of Walmart cakes.....runs away before someone pelts me with tomatoes. icon_redface.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #19 of 43

Sorry, but unless they have changed the rules, no people faces are allowed except as your avatar. (Bandwidth or something? I don't remember...)

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:22pm
post #20 of 43

OK I watched the clip and how exactly do you know that is a walmart cake line?I don't see anywhere on the clip where it refers to walmart productivety.I am SURE lots of places have this but for instance my grocer does not.I was hired at the acme bakery(big grocerery store chain),and they have nothing of the sort.Premaid frosting and cakes but they were frosted by indivisuals.YES I do agree it makes the cake seem cheap,theres nothing like homemade cakes where you can actually get quality of work and time.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:29pm
post #21 of 43

I've seen those videos before on "How It's Made"..I really don't think they are for Wal-Mart. Could be wrong....maybe they make tons and just send them to several different bakeries.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 43

I see them frost the cakes by hand at Sam's Club. They still taste like crap.

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #23 of 43

That is just crazy to watch, I'll stick to my methods. LOL

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

I actually really love the taste of Walmart cakes.....runs away before someone pelts me with tomatoes. icon_redface.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #25 of 43

LOL thanks I needed a good laugh. Thanks for sharing

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:32am
post #26 of 43

well i know i've bought the type of cake w/ the "lines" along the side with the little crumbles on the sides too from walmart so..... hmmmmm lol i just had walmart cupcakes today because my son's daycare won't allow home baked products in school..... BLECH! lol

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

Can we post pics of people on here in the forums? If so and if ya'll wanna see, I've got a really sweet picture of one of my "people machines". icon_biggrin.gif

. . . yes you can show pictures of people in the threads . . . (if you have any doubts - just check out this thread . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-171831-525-days0-orderasc-.html . . . ) . . . and that being said . . . I would love to see what you're "people machines" are all about . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #28 of 43

I LOVE THAT MACHINE!!! icon_lol.gif
I would buy myself a mini version if they had one! I watched that clip 3 times it's so fun!
whizz,squirt,smear,blop blop blop, Taaa Daaa cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #29 of 43

I know, I want one....

And actually I kinda like the Sam's Club cakes. icon_smile.gif

It does show me why I have to charge SOOOO much more than the average grocery store bakery for my cakes though. I'm almost ashamed to sell regular round cakes anymore because of how much I have to charge (I don't charge any different for one round cake than I do for weddings, its all the same per serving just depending on the design).

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #30 of 43

I think of store bought cakes as a completely different thing from home made. It's like the difference between a home cooked meal and one from a freezer bag, sometimes that cheapo store bought cake meets a need.
I had fun watching the video, pretty darn cool. Now if only I could get my hand that steady! LOL! What I always wonder with those things is, how often do they clean out those machines? Icky. But so mesmerizing to watch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%