To Bride-Here's Your Sign

Decorating By funcakes Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm by Jenn123

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 32

Stupid!
When my daughter's friend got engaged she begged my daughter to ask me to make her wedding cake. I made my daughter's cake and everyone said it was the best ever and the cake is sooooo important to her. She LOVES cake.
Okay, I'll make it, but I have never sold a cake-they have always been for family and friends and it is my gift to them (instead of writing a check for big bucks)
She wants 3 tiers,for 200 guests, fondant, blue fondant ribbon, handmolded chocolate shells with dust, (pearl) pearls and little crabs. Okay, no problem, I've made a seven tier cake like that two years ago. My daughter tells her-I'll give this to you as a wedding gift, because my mom will only charge me for the ingred.
Friday she calls my daughter. Tell your mom not to make the cake. My mom and I have found the perfect cake. It's a sheet cake with a blue wave on the side, and only costs $300.
My daughter and I are still laughing, How great is that going to look in the very expensive photos she is paying for? I wonder what the caterer will think when they have to display it? She has hired the most expensive caterer in the city, and having it at a beautiful site overlooking the water.
People's choices always amaze me!
Am I wrong to find this funny? Should I try to advise her that she may be disappointed in the sheet cake with the blue icing wave? That a free cake is actually cheaper than a $300 cake?

31 replies
Hula_girl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hula_girl3 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 32

Yeah people never cease to amaze me in the things they want. I would probably suggest that she do the wave (if she really wants it) as the Grooms cakes that can be placed off in the corner somewhere.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #3 of 32

Wow!

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:05am
post #4 of 32

Are u serious!! Honestly some people are sooo dumb!!!! Oh well her loss!!!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 32

I can be horrid sometimes....I would probably say nothing until the day or at most two days before.

For goodness sakes! It ain't just her sign...she and her mother found the 300 dollar cake.

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:08am
post #6 of 32

Definately wow... No thanks, I don't want that free custom designed wedding cake, I'd much rather have the $300 sheetcake (will that really serve 200??). Sounds a lot like no thanks, keep your free filet mignon, I'd much rather pay $300 for that pretty happy meal... ya know, it comes with at toy!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:14am
post #7 of 32

Thank goodness for dunce.gif people. They keep us so entertained. icon_lol.gif

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:16am
post #8 of 32

Can you say DUH?
You MUST bring a camera to the reception and get a picture of this incredible cake. I am dying to see what sheet cake could be worth $300?

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 5:30am
post #9 of 32

I would say NOTHING and let her find out what an idiot she is! No stress on your part, she gets what she wants....a $300 blue wave!

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:16am
post #10 of 32

Just remember that you are now not available for her wedding date when she comes to her senses. Someone will drag her there KICKING AND SCREAMING and she will need a cake 2 weeks before the wedding. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_twisted.gif HAPPY! HAPPY! JOY! JOY! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:43am
post #11 of 32

That's it tapedshut.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif after reading this I know that some people are just plain dumb. Wow......... I an so shocked icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif . Please keep us posted on this. I would love to see her fabulous $300 sheetcake. Does it have diamonds on it too?

Do I sound mean???? I give you credit for laughing at her, I probably would be waiting for her desperate call two weeks before the wedding just to say sorry i'm booked. icon_twisted.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:44am
post #12 of 32

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh...but...

it is your dd's friend...

dang...

talk to the mother....maybe she didn't know your plans of a cake gift...

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:37am
post #13 of 32

I agree with all4cake. Did they know your cake was going to be a gift? They could have balked at how much they thought they were going to have to spend.

At the end of the day it's their decision, not yours. I would keep my mouth shut and gloat over how much more beautiful my cake would've been. icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:49am
post #14 of 32

Good heavens, let's hope she doesn't reproduce and pollute the gene pool.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:15am
post #15 of 32

Funcakes -

If I were a bride, and someone told me that I was getting a free designer wedding cake, the person telliing me would be my new best friend.

And if I were told I was able to get it at cost, I would still be blown away.

But this one is turning down the free designer wedding cake...??

Perhaps she did not want to put you through all the work, knowing you would be making no profit on the cake.

Just trying to give the gal the benefit of the doubt.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:32am
post #16 of 32

It's possible that they want to spare you the trouble of making it, or that the place where they're having the reception won't let them bring in a cake that wasn't made by a licensed bakery.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll share my similar story icon_biggrin.gif When my sister got married, I was going to make her cake. I had bought all of the stuff I needed...pans, food ingredients, plates, pillars, topper...you name it, I had bought it already...and a week before the wedding my parents called to say that they had ordered a cake from WALMART of all places, because my sister wasn't sure I could make a cake. I mean, that's just taking off the glove and slapping me across the face.

So I was a little bit ticked about it and refused to have anything to do with the setup of the cake. My sister stood there in her wedding gown and built the cake. It had push-in pillars and sat on thin plastic plates. (personally, if I'd seen the stuff before it went into the cake, I would have suggested just putting crates of different heights under the tablecloth, and displaying the tiers that way, because it wasn't going to hold) About an hour into the reception, I noticed that the cake was seriously leaning. I watched it for a while and it was getting worse and worse.

I'm spiteful and wanted to just wait for it to fall over...but I told my parents that the cake was leaning, and they served it. After that, all of the guests left, even though my sister had booked the hall for another two hours.

And even though the tiers were 4" tall, it was a solid 4" of dry cake, no icing in the middle, and no one ate much of it. My mom had cake in the freezer for six months afterwards.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:00am
post #17 of 32

Hahaha Bill Engvall would be so proud!!!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:06am
post #18 of 32

Some people just have to spend the money for some reason. icon_razz.gif

I'd do what someone else said, and confirm with the mom that she understands what she's giving up, and that you WANT to do this for her daughter as a gift. And I like the idea of the wave cake as a groom's cake. Either way, I'd check first to make sure they understand what they're giving up... then laugh when their's isn't nearly as good as the one you've offered! icon_smile.gif

either way, have fun!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:13am
post #19 of 32

All I can say reading this is icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif !!!!!!! People.............

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:15am
post #20 of 32

Sorry, but I wouldn't confirm anything with them.

You have all the heard the saying about the horse and the water? Well, you can offer the bride the free cake, but you can't make her take it.

And now that I think about it, it sounds more to me like maybe she doesn't want to pay the caterer's per slice fee to cut and serve the cake, which in some places, is more than the cost per slice for the cake, itself.

I have read through some banquet halls and caterer's menus online, and their services for wedding cakes (just cutting and serving) varies from $1.00 (fire halls and social clubs) to as much as $10.00 in a hotel on the West Coast.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #21 of 32

Let her have her wave sheet cake. I'm not sure why someone would want a $300 sheet cake when they could have a tiered cake, but to each their own. It's a shame she is turning down such a wonderful gift from you.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #22 of 32

If I were you I would keep my mouth shut.
Don't say anything and don't bring it up
and definitely be too busy if she comes crawling.

People like that need to learn lessons (trust me my brother is one of them) that they can't just expect people to bail them out when they screw up.

Or maybe she just really has no taste
who knows.

But def dont ask anything

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:31pm
post #23 of 32

I would drop it, too. You offered, she declined, it's a dun-deal. I won't run after and beg people to take my free cake.

If she "feels bad" about you doing all of that work and making no profit, she could rectified that with a nice check as a "tip" for you.

I wouldnt' say anything further.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #24 of 32

To me it sounds like the bride would ratehr have a "real" gift for herself vs. a cake. She probably thought, "hmmm, if the cake is my gift I guess I won't be getting a gift I can exchange for something else???"

mommyinaprilx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyinaprilx2 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #25 of 32

I would love to see this wave cake that is so awesome it can be a wedding cake.......

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #26 of 32

I would much rather give someone a $300 cake as the gift because if I went to buy them a gift from their registery, there is no way I'd buy them a $300 gift. This bride will lose out on a great cake. No matter how beautiful a $300 sheet cake is, it not a match for a designer, tiered cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:23pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

I would much rather give someone a $300 cake as the gift because if I went to buy them a gift from their registery, there is no way I'd buy them a $300 gift.

Agree!! It's way cheaper for me to do the cake as the gift!

I do the wedding cake as my gift for all of my nieces/nephews, and I do the catering for the cost of the food. I have 2 nephews getting married in June. One is getting about $2000 worth of food/cake for around $500. The other one is an even bigger wedding. I told them both "I better get Aunt of the Year" award for this!" icon_lol.gif

And during peak season, too! icon_biggrin.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:34pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

To me it sounds like the bride would ratehr have a "real" gift for herself vs. a cake. She probably thought, "hmmm, if the cake is my gift I guess I won't be getting a gift I can exchange for something else???"

Why get a free designer gift cake when you can spend $300 on a cake, AND get that $10 garlic press on your list? Smart thinkin', I tell ya! icon_rolleyes.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:17pm
post #29 of 32

I had not one, but TWO cakes like this a few years back... I still use both of them for examples of STUPID brides/grooms...
1) Groom said "We got a good deal on the cake, the baker is only charging us $3.50/slice for the main cake then $3.25 for sheet cakes (he thought they were filled the same as the main cake... NOPE!! Should'a done your research because they were aluminum pan sheet cakes with a portion the size of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1" tall ... he got TOOK once the geometry was done, and the MOG and FOG were MORTIFIED to see those itsy bitsy slices being plunked down in front of the guests... It would have cost them $20 difference to have REAL cake for ALL of the guests instead of kiddie cake with crisco - the frosting tasted like there was nothing else added - BLECK!!!!)...
2) Bride showed me a pic of the cake she wanted for her wedding, I did a sample cake in that upper end design (mini wedding cake on my website with the pink fondant ribbon)... She ordered her cake instead from the same place as #1... I'm not a spiteful person icon_twisted.gif , but I was then asked to make her shower cake... Oh, YOU BETTER BELIEVE I went over the top for it... I did an EXACT replica of the flowers on her invitation, and the color, and the sheen... I used a Colette recipe for the MBC... She and her Mom got into an all out argument in front of EVERYONE there because of how stupid the bride was NOT to take my offer to give her the wedding cake as her gift icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif

The thing is, don't take it personally how moronic some people can be. I'm actually going to be giving a shower gift of the choice of "$50 towards the purchase of your wedding cake or I make/design your dream wedding cake using the details of the wedding as a wedding and shower gift" (knowing I'll be forking over about $250+ for it)... and... there's about a 90% chance, I'll be giving her the $50 icon_cool.gificon_wink.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:43am
post #30 of 32

oh man.... stupidity.... LOL

well at least you don;t have to do the hard work, just sit back, enjoy that "cake" and don't forget to take pictures! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%