Tips For First Time Gum Paste User... Please!!!!!!

Decorating By Baking4Fun Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm by jo_ann

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 2

I am planning on working with pre-made gum paste tonight. I hope to make a number 4 for the top of my sons birthday cake. I am guessing I will use a cookie cutter to cut it out. Any last minute tips to keep me out of the kitchen all night and to have a nice birthday cake would be appreciated.

Whats the best way to color it, cut it out? I have americolor food coloring. Also I plan on putting stars on wires (kinna going for the shooting star look)

Anyway ANY tips would be appreciated!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

1 reply
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 2

You can color the gumpaste with your americolors. Be sure to wear gloves and keep some powdered sugar and shortening on hand. If it gets to sticky as your coloring it, add a little powdered sugar to it. Crisco will also help keep it pliable. Keep wrapped any gumpaste that you aren't currently working with as it dries out fast. Cookie cutter for the 4 will be fine. Keep it lying flat until it dries. Dip the wire in a little bit of egg white or even water before inserting into the gumpaste. If the wires are going to be bent or "swirled" do that before inserting into the gumpaste. HTH.

Edited to say Have Fun!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%