How Long Swiss Merin Room Temp!!!!

Decorating By candee2300 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm by Edit

candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 4

Can anybody tell me if Swiss Meringue buttercream is safe at room tempurature for a day or 2? I really don't want to poison my family. Also, can you make swiss meringue with pastuerized egg whites?

3 replies
candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 4

Somebody please help!!! Sob, sob.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 4

Because there's a high quantity of fat and sugar in SMBC, it's arguable that it will inhibit bacterial growth and you could leave it out for longer periods of time. Still, eggs are on the FDA's potentially dangerous foods list when not properly stored. I personally would not leave it out of the fridge more than 2-4 hours.

You probably *can* use pasteurized eggs whites - they should meringue up. However, if you're cooking the egg whites and sugar over a water bath to over 140 degrees (necessary to melt the sugar as well as "cook" the egg whites), you're effectively killing most bacteria that might be present, which is pretty much what the pasteurization does.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 4

I usually cook the meringe to 160F. (I use a candy thermomether to make sure). It doesn't start to coagulate at this temp. yet. By Rose Levy Beranbaum (The Cake Bible) the meringue BC can be left out for 2 days. Although it is recommended to be refrigerated when not in use or when the cake would be just sitting. It is not a problem for it to sit at a reception though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%