Legal Kentucky Cake Business Questions

Business By Laura102777 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm by poohlegsofky

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #1 of 5

I would like some input from anyone who runs a legal cake business in the state of Kentucky. I'm actually pretty clear on the requirements for a legal kitchen, but I need to know about the actual business requirements. What all will I need to apply for (to register a business name, tax id number, anything like that)? Thanks for your help!

And I'd be fine with us discussing kitchen requirements, that's just not what I personally need to know right now. Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 5

C'mon, I know there are lots of Kentucky people out there. Can somebody help me?

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 5

Hi!! I am from Kentucky but I can't help answer your questions because I am needing the same information. We are just starting to design my kitchen in my basement & I haven't gotten all of the legal stuff done yet. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone. icon_smile.gif

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 5

I too am from Kentucky. I have been trying to search for the same information. They make it so hard to find out the legal requirements for us in this state. If anyone finds out anything we all would be grateful! Thanks!

poohlegsofky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohlegsofky Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 5

You will have to register for a business name ($) with the State of Kentucky and you will have to get a State Tax I.D. number ($). You will need to contact your city ($) and county ($) to get a business license and register with them. You will need to get liability insurance ($) for your business. You will need to contact the Health Department in your county for the requirements for your kitchen. Your kitchen requirements are a double or triple basin sink (I forgot which) - separate sink for mop - separate sink for hand washing. I can't find my paperwork - but you can go to kygov and should be able to find it there or your local health department.

This is just what I have been told in my inquiries into opening a commercial kitchen in my county. I still have not started to do anything officially. I am still a little scared of taking this all on.

If you find out anything more - please share and good luck with you new business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%