Question About Buttercream Icing

Decorating By 4runner2003 Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 5:33pm by spidy-man

4runner2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4runner2003 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I new to all this. I iced my cake with BC and It looks shiney and is greasy. Is this normal for BC icing. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the replies! Lindsay

5 replies
Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 6

First thing that comes to mind is not enough PS. What recipe are you using? Crisco? Butter? both?

4runner2003 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 6

I'm using crisco and its the recipe thats in the course 1 class book. Just started taking the classes. And could you tell me what PS is? I'm new to all this. Thanks so much!

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 6

Powdered sugar. icon_biggrin.gif

Well, if you'e following the directions I'm not sure what else it could be. Hmmm icon_confused.gif

Wonder if anyone else has experinced this...

I WILL say you have to try Indy's buttercream (BC). I REALLY like this recipe. Go to reciepes and search for: Indydebis Crisco-based buttercream icing.

4runner2003 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 6

OK, I will sure try that! Thanks again!!

spidy-man Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spidy-man Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 6

Hi:

Make sure you are not over whipping the icing. You should only mix it until it just comes together and then for a few more seconds after that. If you are using a Kitchen Aid or other stand up mixer use a lower setting. You don't wan't too much air in the icing.

If you are in a Wilton class I recommend that you not stray from the icing in the book. I tell all my students the same thing. You should get used to making the recipe for class butter cream icing because that will ensure you get the best results from your decorations when you are first practicing. Then when you get the hang of the proper consistency and decoration results you can experiment with other icings.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%