What Do You Think Of The The Cake Doctor Book

Decorating By kimheflin Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 7:17am by CakesUnleashed

kimheflin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimheflin Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 29

I was just wondering who thinks this book is worth using. I am not very good at making cakes out of scratch and this book says it can make cakes taste almost like scratch but come out perfectly each time. If this is the case, why don't more people do this? Just wondering about opinions. Thanks.

Kim

28 replies
Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 12:53am
post #2 of 29

I looked at it today, and decided against it. I think it's the Cake MIX Doctor that everyone refers to, but that wasn't at Walden Books today.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 12:54am
post #3 of 29

I've got both the Cake Doctor and the Chocolate Cake Doctor as gifts....I really like the books. I have used it several times with great results. You get different flavors and texures with just adding to the basic cake recipe.

Puglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puglady Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:47am
post #4 of 29

I recently bought the book but haven't tried any recipes yet. I did read the intro and agree with what the author said that you have to make your frosting, can't buy the canned stuff if you want great taste. I'll update this post after I've tried a recipe.

kimheflin Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 4:33am
post #5 of 29

Sorry...I did mean the Cake Mix Doctor...I just bought both the Cake Mix Doctor and the Chocolate Cake Doctor too. I am wanting to see how they turn out. I'm going to use it this weekend and see how different the cakes taste. And of course, homemade icing is definately the only way to go! Let me know what happens when you all use it.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 6:25am
post #6 of 29

I, too, just purchased the books. I am dying to find out how everyone likes the recipes. I use fondant to cover my cakes, soooo I just wanted to know if there is a cake in the book that won't stand up to the weight of fondant??

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 6:59am
post #7 of 29

There are some great recipes in these books.

Do a forum search for "Cake Mix Doctor" and you'll find some threads that discuss favorite recipes from the books.

I mostly use doctored recipes for my cakes. I like baking from scratch, but I like the speed of doctored mixes and they are more predictable than scratch reicpes, especially since I'm in a high altitude area.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 29

I have all three of her cake books (I think the cupcake book is relatively new) and I love the variety. I don't make a lot of them, but I love the Fuzzy Navel cake! So does my husband, and he's not a cake person. There is also a Mexican Chocolate Muffin recipe that is to die for.

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 29

Hey GeminiRJ,

How about sharing that recipe for Fuzzy Navel Cake, oh the muffins also. Thanks alot icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 29

I've only made one; I think it was red velvet. I've been leaning towards scratch lately, but I might have to dust it off and try again.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 29

I have had this book for about a year not and really like it. Not only does it have great recipies, but great tips as well. I love the doctored chocolate cakes, I never liked chocolate cake till I made one of these. I have also tried the white chocolate frosting and it is great.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 29

I have 3 of the Cake Mix Doctor's books and I love them all.... I've tried many of the recipes and they've all be very good ... I'd highly recommend the books if you want to use a cake mix as the base ingredient in your cakes icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 29

I have the Cake Mix Doctor and the Cupcake book she put out. I don't have the chocolate one though. I love them all. Very creative and delicious recipes!! icon_biggrin.gif

SweetDolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDolly Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 29

I have The Cake Mix Doctor and the Cupcake book, and I love them both - use them all the time. The Sour Cream White Cake and Darn Good Chocolate Cake have become staples in my house!

kimheflin Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 29

I was wondering the same thing about the cakes that don't hold up under the fondant. I'm relatively new at doing cake with fondant and I am not really sure what KIND of cakes work best with it. If anyone knows...please share.Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 29

Any cake with "substance" works under fondant. What that means is that you want a denser cake, if possible. Using an angel-food cake won't get it because there's no substance to it, it's light and airy and the fondant is heavy. Most box mixes on their own I've used and the doctored mixes work well too. Just be aware of fillings like nuts, cherries, or anything like that if you are stacking the cake -- they can hinder your supports and cause the cake to fall. icon_cool.gif

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 11 Jan 2007 , 1:42pm
post #17 of 29

i love the Cake Doctor. I use it all the time. the cakes come out great.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 2:24pm
post #18 of 29

You can usually find copies at Wal-Mart. They are cheaper then the book stores. I have made several recipes, and so far they have been good.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 12 Jan 2007 , 5:58pm
post #19 of 29

I have all 3 and put flags on the pages of the ones that I have made and on the ones that have the tips that I refer back to. I find that after I have made the recipe a few times, that I "doctor" it somemore. I have even written notes on the pages so I remember what I did that helped the recipe. For instance: sift the coco powder on the pan chocolate frosting and on the german chocolate cake--the pecan frosting--you need to cook a bit longer and the put it in the fridge to set up. You can also go onto the web site forum and ask questions--the moderators are very helpful.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:08am
post #20 of 29

Love these books! I rate the recipes with 1 to 5 stars based on how well I like them. The fluffy yellow and buttermilk chocolate are awesome. I've also tried the sour cream chocolate, sweet potato and melted ice cream. I read these books as if they were novels. I've tried a few of the frostings which are also great.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:47am
post #21 of 29

I have 2 of her books and I just love them and use them a lot too!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 3:54am
post #22 of 29

OK...I'll be the dud here. I don't use it much. Have had it for several years and tried a couple but they didn't trip my trigger. I've found enhanced recipes for each of the cake flavors that I bake regularly, and I just don't experiment much! LOL

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 4:01am
post #23 of 29

I have them all and use them a lot. The one thing they have taught me, is to "doctor" on my own. I don't usually make them completely by the recipe, but play with it - like use less oil, etc. The Darn Good Chocolate Cake gets rave reviews when I make it. I also like the Honey Bun Cake - I make it in a bundt - it is DH's favorite. I made it last night.

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 8:14pm
post #24 of 29

Oh do try the Snickerdoodle cake... there's something just sinful about that Cinnamon buttercream icing.

It made an excellent cake for the family (in-laws) - and they won't buy cakes from me. LOL They hoovered it. icon_lol.gif

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 8:21pm
post #25 of 29

The author of this book has a forum here

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com

ctorno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctorno Posted 13 Jan 2007 , 8:26pm
post #26 of 29

Haven't made many from the book, but the Honey Bun and Buttermilk Devil's Food are great. The Devil's food is repeatedly requested. It has great tips also. Someday I hope to master scratch cakes, but until then.......

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:31am
post #27 of 29

I LOVE her books! One of my best sellers is the "Boston Cream Pie Cake" and the Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pound cake

yummy!!!!!!!

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:51pm
post #28 of 29

I have all of her books (including the one called 'Dinner Doctor', which isn't about cakes, but doctored dinner recipes) & I LOVE them!! I would definitely suggest them to anyone.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:17am
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake

You can usually find copies at Wal-Mart. They are cheaper then the book stores. I have made several recipes, and so far they have been good.

I got both books (brand-spankin' new) from ebay. Both under $8.00. I thought that was a great deal.

I was able to use the sour cream recipe and WOW!, did that go over well, big time! Everyone raved about it! Soooo, I am sold on it! I have heard nothing but GOOD THINGS about these books!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%