Buttercream Roses

Decorating By heidinamba Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 5:18pm by matwogirls

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #31 of 34

heidnamba, about making roses. I did find the instruction for making roses in the WB book very helpful. Just try another recipe for now. Use WB instructions in the book and use someone elses frosting recipe from above. Some of those would definately work for making roses. If you want to look at my WB cake I made for my birthday it's in my pic's. It was my first time to make roses. You can't really tell from the pic that they were the grainy ones. Also the Duff roses can turn out very cute to. I hate to mention there is another way to make fondant roses that I like better than Duffs. Pretty much as easy. I watched a video on it somewhere but I can't tell you where. Sorry about that. So you say why did she even mention it? icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe it was on utube.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #32 of 34

Hi all, I just posted a video on youtube.com on how to pipe roses directly onto a cake:

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #33 of 34

I took one post's recommendation and made "Duff roses". I used white satin ice, colored it ivory and then made the roses using 5 circles. Then I painted some gold on the petals (gold is part of the theme). They look pretty darn good. I made 6 roses and maybe I didn't cover the rolled out fondant very well because by the time I got to the last 2 roses, the fondant was a little dry around the edges and had kind of a cracked looked in places. The gold covered the dryness, thank goodness. I have a couple of questions though: I don't have to make the actual cake till Saturday. Will these roses be ok till then? How should I store them. They are sitting out on the counter now, uncovered, because I figured they have to fully dry. And also, since I used 5 circles, the base of the rose is kind of long and bulky. I measured and they are 1 1/2 inches tall. Doesn't sound tall but when we are talking about putting on a cake, that's pretty darn tall. I thought about hiding the base of the rose in some deep icing but that seems kind of ridiculous. Then I thought about pushing the base down into the cake, but I didn't like that idea either. Then I thought about cutting the base off but I was concerned about the upper part of the rose separating. What do you think? I don't see how I could have prevented the base from a build up like it is. Each circle was about 3 inches across.

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:18pm
post #34 of 34

So when I made my roses this way on the weekend I pinched off the bottom to remove the excess and on some I used 6 circles as they seemed to turn out abit better. They were alot thicker on the bottom, so that is why I twisted and pinched the bottom off abit. This did help shorten them up alot. Then I just put the excess in with my next batch I rolled out.

HTH
Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%