Edible Image Printer

Decorating By fearlessbaker Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm by Chrisl121070

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:45pm
post #31 of 41

I want to take the time to thank everyone for all the input. I won't be able to do anything about this for a week or so as I am having some minor surgery. But it will take some time to heal so I have to be in bedresting and only dreaming about all this. I know I am going to need more help. I am computer savvy in some things. When it comes to Photo Shop and those other programs that Melvira talks about I don't have a clue and before I get a printer I want to know everything first. Thanks

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:49pm
post #32 of 41

Melvira thanks for that explanation---sounds like something I could do! I understand what you are saying!

Chris, I don't know what the difference would be, but I got mine at Kopykake with the variety package of sheets to start-up. The customer service is really great at Kopykake also. They sent the wrong blak cart. to start with and when I called they immediately sent me the repacemet.HTH
Linda

ChristyZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristyZ Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:51pm
post #33 of 41

I just bought the Canon IP3500 myself and was looking at the same thing as Chrisl121070 about the difference and price. And what I found out is the printer cartridges at Icingimages has the microchip on the cartridges and the ones from Kopykake does not. You actually have to remove the chip from the cartridges on the IP3500 and attach it to the edible ink cartridges. I saw a previous link that actually gives you the directions on how to remove the chip and place it on the edible cartridge.

I just got my printer and have not ordered the edible ink cartridges yet and still not sure which to get. It's all about the chip...to buy the cartridge with the chip or not.

Hope this helps!

Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #34 of 41

If you got the IP3500 it has a chip in each cart. and you have to remove it and put it in each of your edible ink cart. Instructions come with the edible tanks but you need to order the ones for the chipped Canon.

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm
post #35 of 41

Ohhh! Thanks ChristyZ!

I did see on the Kopykake site that you had to remove the chip, but I didn't realize the ones on icingimages already have the chip.

Hm, you're right that is a dilemma.

Can anyone tell me/us how hard it is to change the chips out?

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #36 of 41

It is not hard to change the chips out AT ALL...The Kopykate cartridges come with the little PICK thingy to help you pop the chip off of the UN-Edible ink and it pops right into the edible cartridge. I have the IP3500 as well and love it. I used it just this past week for a client and she almost cried when she saw her cake...great reaction and worth every penny I spent on the printer, ink and paper! HTH

Chrisl121070 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm
post #37 of 41

So it's definitely not worth the extra $50 for the chip. LOL

Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm
post #38 of 41

Definitely, not worth $50! After you do the first one it is soo simple!

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #39 of 41

DH bought me the Epson Stylus C-88+. I haven't had any problems with it, and the prints have been great. Very vibrant colors. My inks and sheets came from Kopykake. I am not impressed with their free software, and I was unwilling to buy their software. I use Print Shop. DH tells me to try Adobe Photo Shop, but I haven't done that yet.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:57pm
post #40 of 41

All I know is that the stuff I get from Icing Images costs the same as KopyKake. I've never been charged more, but my printer doesn't require chips that I know of, and I just use the refill bottles instead of buying new ink tanks. That saves a buttload of money and it's really easy to do.

Chrisl121070 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm
post #41 of 41

Yeah, most of the ones that don't require chips are the same price as Kopykake so that must be the difference.

And I will definitely be refilling them. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%