How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:52am
post #121 of 11579

now i wanna bake cupcakes! and i don't have any eggs left! argh!

Honey_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:44am
post #122 of 11579

What a great topic. Thanks for all the amazing tips!! But can someone tell me what a bismark tip is?

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:40am
post #123 of 11579

i love cupcakes, would love to see more pictures on designs though. lots of new cupcake books coming out also.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #124 of 11579

Honey Cakes---a bismark tip is a long skinny tip with a round opening that you can use to fill cupcakes,eclairs,ect...It is wilton!Hope that helps

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:35pm
post #125 of 11579

CarolAnn
That is what I have been doing with my cakes and cookies. Taking them to different places in town where they are really appreciated. The churches have quilters groups, the hospital has a hospice house, a Ronald McDonald house, and certain shelters for women and children. Someone on CC suggested asking the churches, hospitals and chamber of commerce if there was a need for this and it gives me a chance to do what I love. I get feedback from some of the places but not all, but it allows me to "practice." The hospice house is especially nice because people are staying there because a loved one is in the hospital. They might have a birthday and a cake helps cheer them up. Some places won't allow outside food, but they will tell you.
Lily

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:55pm
post #126 of 11579

[quote="Melvira"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

You know, I used to use malt powder but it tended to give the icing a grainy feel unless you dissolved it in liquid first, so I was walking through WallyWorld and that bottle caught my eye. If you've looked through my gallery pix, you know I love me some Whoppers... so it just seemed to make sense. One of those things where it just *clicks*, ya know?

So, do you still use the malt powder for the ganache? My dad LOVES chocolate malt, and is with you on the Whoppers, I think this would make a good cake for him. Please do share. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #127 of 11579

Actually, yes. I am not sure how the liquid chocolate would affect the ganache, so I still use the powdered version. (Carnation brand is best in my opinion.) What I like to do it dissolve the powder in the whipping cream before adding the chocolate... that prevents the grainy feeling. It is SO good. I cannot express how much I LOVE the malt flavor! It just SO adds that special something. Of course, I'm the type that thinks a 'shake' is a waste of good ice cream... if you don't have a malt, don't waste my time! Heheheh. I guess we know why I like the Whoppers, eh?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm
post #128 of 11579

Melvira How funny! Im the only one in my family that orders a malt! They all laugh at me ! they all get shakes or big ole sundaes! Malts all the way ! Now get back in that kitchen !

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #129 of 11579

I'm so glad that this thread was started! I love making cupcakes & need all the tips that I can get. I didn't think to turn the oven temp. up to achieve a domed cc.
When Martha had her cc week, she showed taking a small round cookie cutter & cutting a round out of the top of the cc. Then the filling was put in & the round placed back in the cc. I haven't filled any cc yet, but can't wait to start. I also can't wait to try the peanut butter cc recipe.
I also make a motion that we have a separate cc forum!

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 5:22pm
post #130 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Melvira How funny! Im the only one in my family that orders a malt! They all laugh at me ! they all get shakes or big ole sundaes! Malts all the way ! Now get back in that kitchen !

SLAVE DRIVER!!!

I told ya, the cake is cooling!! And I have to feed my boys or I'll get a beating! It's lunchtime! icon_wink.gif

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:42pm
post #131 of 11579

Melvira
About how much powdered malt flavor do you add to a recipe of ganache? Can I add the malt syrup you referred to, to a regular BC?

Lily

Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #132 of 11579

Lily, I would be afraid that the syrup would thin down your icing too much. But I say, try a small batch and see!! It really depends on how much of the malt flavor you want. I like so much that it would make mine soupy! For a recipe of ganache I usually use a couple tablespoons, 2 or 3, to taste. Again, dissolve it in the cream first to make sure it's not grainy!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:59pm
post #133 of 11579

Oh yes, finally! I'm late to this party but it's obvious we really need a cupcake forum!

I've been doing quite a number of cupcakes lately and learn something each time. So thanks for some of these tips! I can't remember the last time I did an actual cake.

Here's a site that has some very interesting recipes...scroll down and look for the "Cupcake Menu" on the right (I think this was posted earlier):

http://vanillagarlic.blogspot.com/

Some sound scary but some look tasty. I've yet to try one one but will soon. (probably the vanilla bean/black cherry ones)

I'm not sure if someone's posted Zalita's link yet, I can stare at these all day. I have. She is AMAZING.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65668398@N00/

Confectionary House is good for liners, so is Beryls. I recently purchased some chocolate brown(very dark, almost black) and pastel (a darker pastel) ones from the UK. They didn't come out "greasy" after baking. I hate that.

eta: when I post the Beryl's link, it shows up as G lobal Sugar Arts. Weird. Just go to b e r y l s.com

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:11pm
post #134 of 11579

I used to live about an hour and a half east of the Bay and we'd try to make a stop every so often at this darling little place in the city

http://karascupcakes.com/flavors.html

Some yummy cupcakes lemme tell ya. I do believe that she was a big inspiration for my cake business.

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #135 of 11579

I am SO happy to see this thread! And here's hoping they give us a whole cupcake forum.

I just delivered 10 dozen to a church father/daughter date night event yesterday.

Off to vote for having the forum.

thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #136 of 11579

I voted for it ! I hope we get it ! I need cupcake help ! Thanks everone for all the ideas and links !

Rhienn Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:23pm
post #137 of 11579

Here's one I'll contribute...

Anyone ever tried the ganache drop to fill your cupcakes? It's my FAVORITE way to fill a yellow cupcake. Just plop the cooled ganache in the center of the cupcake, push it down and little and bake as normal. They sink to the center and holy YUM, they're good. One of my most popular cakes. I usually top them with chocolate sour cream or whipped gananche frosting. Mmmmm

Ironbaker Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:26pm
post #138 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhienn

Anyone ever tried the ganache drop to fill your cupcakes? It's my FAVORITE way to fill a yellow cupcake. Just plop the cooled ganache in the center of the cupcake, push it down and little and bake as normal. They sink to the center and holy YUM, they're good. One of my most popular cakes. I usually top them with chocolate sour cream or whipped gananche frosting. Mmmmm

I need more instruction. icon_lol.gif Pretty please. What's a ganache drop? I'm imagining it to be a hardened bit of ganache that melts in the batter when it bakes? That sounds so good. Are you making these or buying them somewhere?

Rhienn Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:32pm
post #139 of 11579

It's so simple - you'll laugh. icon_biggrin.gif

You make ganache, cool it and then scoop about a tablespoon (maybe a little less) just like you would to make a truffle. Then just drop it onto the top of your cupcake batter (in the liners before they go in oven), push down a bit and put your cupcakes in the oven.

Voila! Ganache centers.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:32pm
post #140 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Like I said, I'm a "flat topper", but we used to make angel cupcakes as kids where you need a domed top - we used to just put extra batter into the papers to make them do that. Have you tried that?

Unfortunately I have tried that! What happens is that I end up with large flat frisbee tops on the cupcakes that all bake together, then I have to cut them apart. Of course, then they won't fit nicely in the boxes. Grrrr!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ...frisbee tops!..I love that!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Rhienn Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:36pm
post #141 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhienn

I need more instruction. icon_lol.gif Pretty please. What's a ganache drop? I'm imagining it to be a hardened bit of ganache that melts in the batter when it bakes? That sounds so good. Are you making these or buying them somewhere?

Oh - it doesn't melt into the batter...it stays in a ball and becomes a pocket of filling.

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:40pm
post #142 of 11579

Look at this!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:43pm
post #143 of 11579

Ya'll have done it now...... icon_redface.gif After reading this thread, I preheated the oven... icon_surprised.gif You know the rest icon_lol.gif I just took the last tray out and omg these are so good.. Here is the recipe: straight from Martha.. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/billys-vanilla-vanilla-cupcakes?lnc=c479cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&rsc=video7new_Homepage_1&video_id=2dc1358d97060110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD

Anyone notice how this recipe and the Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes appear to be exactly the same icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif How do you suppose that happened icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I am going to ice them with a lemon curd buttercream... my bad icon_rolleyes.gif

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:45pm
post #144 of 11579

That machine would make the 200 cupcakes I have to make for a wedding go a lot faster!

What I need is a good place to find paper boxes for transporting 200 cupcakes. I don't want to have to buy 100 boxes to get a good price. I can get plastic ones to hold a dozen, but I have a hard time getting the cupcakes out of the container without smudging the icing. Help CCers!

Paula

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:51pm
post #145 of 11579

Heres a good website for recipes.
http://www.cupcakerecipes.com/

Ironbaker Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:52pm
post #146 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Ya'll have done it now...... icon_redface.gif After reading this thread, I preheated the oven... icon_surprised.gif You know the rest icon_lol.gif I just took the last tray out and omg these are so good.. Here is the recipe: straight from Martha.. http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/billys-vanilla-vanilla-cupcakes?lnc=c479cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&rsc=video7new_Homepage_1&video_id=2dc1358d97060110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD

Anyone notice how this recipe and the Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes appear to be exactly the same icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif How do you suppose that happened icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I am going to ice them with a lemon curd buttercream... my bad icon_rolleyes.gif

I tried that vanilla recipe a couple of months ago and didn't care for it. Looking at it again, I can see the updated it - it used to be self rising flour, not cake flour. It rose way too much to me. Glad you had success with it!

THANK YOU Rhienn! I'm going to have to try that next time. Maybe Friday, I have more to make. Sounds simple enough!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #147 of 11579

Ironbaker, the Magnolia Bakery's recipe does call for self-rising flour.. Billy's does not, but adds a Tlbs baking powder. Thats the only difference, aside from the mixing directions.. The video on Martha's is cute to watch.. He is sooooo young icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:42pm
post #148 of 11579

Well, I just had to try the "yummymummy" recipe and it was a perfect dome cupcake! I am so thrilled! I used slightly less than a fourth cup of batter to each standard cupcake wrapper. I am telling you it is perfect! The recipe made 21 cupcakes. Cooked mine 15 min at 375. Oh I used my wedding bouquet flavoring also!
Linda

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:51pm
post #149 of 11579

famousamous
Frequent Member

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:40 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at this!

Wow got to get me one of those.LOL.Sure would make life easier!

CINDY1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CINDY1956 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:54pm
post #150 of 11579

I'm looking for a cupcake that can be filled and tastes simaliar to the Pinneapple Orange Cake, with the whip cream frosting that everyone use to make...
They Will be sitting out for awhile so I need the filling and frosting that can sit out.
Hope someone can help. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%