How About A Thread To Seriously Discuss Making Cupcakes?????

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 11 Dec 2020 , 12:18pm by -K8memphis

rwarhank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarhank Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:14pm
post #4651 of 11579
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately we don't have a GFS around here

For Melvira, I saw Bettercreme at TPC's Cash and Carry in Davenport on 53rd Street this weekend. I didn't look to see if it was liquid/unwhipped or not as I don't have room in my freezer...yet

Hope this helps

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4652 of 11579

So Penny - what did you bake yesterday?

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #4653 of 11579

Nothing! I didn't get to! My husband was incredible at taking care of things while I was "quarantined" for a week. BUT, there are still so many things I am catching up on. Something WILL be frosted today, though - even if it comes out of the freezer!

BTW, Cupcakemkr...I love the quote in your signature!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4654 of 11579

Thanks Penny - can't wait to hear/see what you come up with icon_biggrin.gif

So can anyone (Melvira) tell me if I can drizzle ganache on bettercream? My DS wants a strawberry ice cream cake for his b-day and I want to do just the edges so that it drips down and put chocolate covered strawberries on top. Will it work???
TIA

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4655 of 11579

the mounds cuppies were the first to go...if they could have stuck them in the pockets, they would have.....I had people in the office that had meetings but took a plate with two cuppies for later....they are so moist, you have to eat them with a fork....this is a keeper...they want to know if I can do a cake out of them and how about a snickers cake? I know I can do the mounds cake...anyone have a recipe for snicker cupcakes?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #4656 of 11579

Im pretty sure Im doing the mounds this week I have been dyeing to try them ! I would just chop up a snickers bar pretty small and add to the bater, for the cake part!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #4657 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarhank

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately we don't have a GFS around here

For Melvira, I saw Bettercreme at TPC's Cash and Carry in Davenport on 53rd Street this weekend. I didn't look to see if it was liquid/unwhipped or not as I don't have room in my freezer...yet

Hope this helps

That's where I get mine... it's the liquid. I did a little dance the first time I found it there because I had searched everywhere for it. Thank goodness for them!

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:17pm
post #4658 of 11579

Ok, I need some help!! I have a batc of buttercream, which I last minute decided that I wanted to add strawberries too for my Strawberry Limade cuppies. Well, it made it too runny, its running right off the sides of the cupcake!! What can I add to thicken it up? I tried to add more powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup. I am afraid if I keep adding sugar it well become too sweet. Can I salvage this?? It tastes delish!

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:18pm
post #4659 of 11579

Sarsi-- that sounds like a neat oppurtunity! As long as it is on YOUR terms, not hers. Youre right, you need to make money in this deal. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Melvira Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:37pm
post #4660 of 11579

I am so excited that people are liking the Mounds cuppies but I have a question... are you guys using the first recipe I made with the cream cheese, or the 'easier' version without?? Just curious!! I like them both, but I know the cream cheese version can't sit out as long, so if you're going to leave them out a while it's better to use the non cream cheese version. (But the cream cheese version is richer!)

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #4661 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny727

Hey Sarsi - I don't know much about the business since I can't do it from home in Delaware - but GOOD LUCK!

Even if it doesn't seem to work out - that's AWESOME that she thinks so much of your work. I think it's great that she would charge $4 for your cupcakes! As long as you get enough of that for yourself icon_smile.gif

Sarsi.... your business offer sounds really nice for you, but don't sell yourself short. You aren't making just a plain cake box cupcake. If you can get use of your church kitchen and make and sell them for yourself, that might be the better way to go, unless this lady is willing to pay you what your cupcakes are worth. Why should she be the one to profit off of your labors?
Hang in there. Something will work out for you.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #4662 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLisa17

Ok, I need some help!! I have a batc of buttercream, which I last minute decided that I wanted to add strawberries too for my Strawberry Limade cuppies. Well, it made it too runny, its running right off the sides of the cupcake!! What can I add to thicken it up? I tried to add more powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup. I am afraid if I keep adding sugar it well become too sweet. Can I salvage this?? It tastes delish!

I dont know if this would work, but could you make another seperate batch of bc, and then combine the 2? This way, your not adding more pure sugar, but still adding something to it, you'd just maybe have to find something to use the rest of it for!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #4663 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLisa17

I don't know if this works, but cornstarch can thicken without adding sweetness. Try adding it. Or, if you have a box of lemon or vanilla pudding mix (instant one), try mixing that. It should absorb some of the water.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #4664 of 11579

Lisa- a pinch of salt will cut the sweetness. Sounds strange, but it works and you don't notice the salt.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:05pm
post #4665 of 11579

Melvira. I just bought the stuff to make the mounds cuppy.s and Im going to make the cream cheese version !Might as well go all out !

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #4666 of 11579

Melvira - I have the Mounds cupcake recipe with the cream cheese version and remember the discussion about the other but can't find the second recipe on the recipe sheets or back in the posts. Can you give me the second recipe again? I want to make them for a 4th of July party and since it will be close to 100, I thought the non cream cheese version would be better.

Thanks.

Melvira Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 12:25am
post #4667 of 11579

The second version is SUPER simple!! 2 cups liquid bettercreme in your mixer, add about 1/2 cup of milk and a 4 serving box of coconut cream pudding and whip... you can add more milk if desired to make it a little thinner, but I like it thick and fluffy. I actually prefer the richness of the cream cheese version, but this version is a little lighter and holds up better to the heat.

Penny7271 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #4668 of 11579

I tried to find the Jello coconut cream pudding when I was making my coconut cake. NO LUCK! I've also never been able to find white chocolate pudding that wasn't the fat free with the aspartame. Blah!

Melvira Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #4669 of 11579

Oh Penny, that's super annoying!! Sorry to hear it. One thing you can do instead of the coconut pudding is vanilla pudding and coconut flavoring. You can toss in a little grated coconut as well. Toasted is even better! thumbs_up.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:15am
post #4670 of 11579

what was the title of the vegan cupcake recipe book again?

Penny7271 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #4671 of 11579

I did just that...sort of! I added the vanilla pudding and coconut extract but I don't like the texture of coconut...so instead I replaced the water in the recipe with coconut milk. It was really yummy! It was for a tiki cake that is on hold for my mom's birthday party.

I hope that you are getting some sleep! And enjoying these early days with your new little man!

Penny7271 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #4672 of 11579
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

what was the title of the vegan cupcake recipe book again?

I think the one that you are looking for is "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World"

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #4673 of 11579

thanks penny - that was it

MissChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissChrissy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:43am
post #4674 of 11579

Hey Penny you can find the coconut cream pudding and the white chocolate pudding at Food Lion. I am not sure if you have one upstate but we have plenty in Kent County!!! =)

MissChrissy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:47am
post #4675 of 11579

Ok I have mostly been reading but I have a question.....I have to decorate a Cars cake (think star tip x1000) icon_razz.gif this weekend can I use bettercreme or is it just used for cupcakes???

I love this thread and have learned soooo much!! Thanks ladies!!! icon_biggrin.gif I too have read every page!!!!

Penny7271 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #4676 of 11579

Hey! There isn't a Food Lion in Newark...but there could be one somewhere in New Castle County that I haven't discovered. There could be one right over the border in Maryland. I'll have to check.
Thanks for the tip!
Have you been able to find Bettercreme anywhere in Kent County? The cake place that I shop at here doesn't carry it...I would love to try some. I know we are heading south to Rehoboth later this month - so we could definitely take a detour along the way!

Penny7271 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:03am
post #4677 of 11579

Chrissy - I haven't tried the Bettercreme yet, but I have learned here that it won't color the bright colors that buttercream does. So depending on how you are doing your design...
Mel is the real EXPERT when it comes to Bettercreme.

(So does that mean you have some?)

MissChrissy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #4678 of 11579

Yes I got it iat the Sams in Dover. I think it is a 10 gallon bucket for 17.99 Its the already frozen kind but it works for me! I had to go to the bakery and ask for it. When I called they didn't know what I was talking about!!! Do you have a costco membership?? Maybe they sell it out of their bakery too. When are you coming through to go to rehobeth? Maybe if you are coming home and want to stop by sames I could meet you up there and you could use my card to get it.

Penny7271 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #4679 of 11579

WOW - you are so sweet! I've got a Costco Membership...but they don't sell anything from their bakery supply to the public. Which is silly since they are really cool about so many other things.
Let's keep in touch - I just might take you up on a meeting at Sam's!
And thanks again for the Food Lion tip icon_biggrin.gif

You'll have to post your Cars cake when you are all finished. My son is a Cars FREAK and I have a feeling he'll be wanting a Cars cake come October.

MissChrissy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #4680 of 11579

I def will! Just pm me if you decide to and we can go from there about meeting up!!! Its always fun to meet fellow cakers!!!1 icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%