Do I Need To Redo This?

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm by SweetResults

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 29

I am exhuasted and burnt out, and can't see the forest for the trees. This cake isn't finished yet, but the bottom tier is driving me nuts. Do I need to take of the fondant and figure out why it is lumpy. What do you think?
LL

28 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #2 of 29

probably tiers settling and forcing filling out.

wouldn't go to all the trouble of redoing the bottom tier.

just finish it and call it a day

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 29

It sort of makes it look more circus-y. I wouldn't redo it

Edited to add... GREAT CAKE!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 29

I agree. I wouldn't do it over. The bulging looks minimal to me, and all the rest of the cake looks so cool I doubt anyone will think a thing of it. They'll be wowed by the overall effect, which is really cute!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #5 of 29

Is it just on that side or is it all the way around? I'm a perfectionist and it would drive me nuts until I fixed it. Can you pull the banner away and see if you can just smooth it down and then cut away the excess fondant?

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #6 of 29

Looks fine

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #7 of 29

I agree with the others - just leave it. It's really cute by the way!! It doesn't look that lumpy anyhow.

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:29am
post #8 of 29

I agree with the above...What a great looking cake!!

summernoelle Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #9 of 29

Thanks everyone. I am just too tired to even think about redoing it-BUT this customer is a perfectionist! My DH says I will do more damage than good if I take it apart, and I am think, I DONT want to risk that.

Thanks!!!!!!

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:44am
post #10 of 29

Is the bulging all around the cake? If it's not, why don't you just put the banner over the bulge.

summernoelle Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:49am
post #11 of 29

I lied. I just went back into the kitchen, and it looks terrible on the back. I ripped off the fondant, and found one of the dowels had dramatically shifted forward, leaving a big hole. WTF? Anyways, it is currently in the freezer, waiting to be redone.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #12 of 29

I would have redone it too. Only because it looked like the cake was going to fall apart if you didn't. Like it was starting to collapse, which it sounds like it would have if you didn't redo it.

Plus if you charge a customer good money they should have the best work you can do. If it was for a friend or family I wouldn't have cared.

Glad you redid it.

Sounds like your cake may be light and airy to even hold up the dowel.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #13 of 29

Well, that totally sucks, but fortunately you figured it out before it became a 'disaster' thread! It is really a sharp looking cake!! Congrats, although I'm sorry it's turning into twice as much work!

Cakegirl20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl20 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #14 of 29

I am sooo sorry about your catastrophe! icon_cry.gif It would have bothered me, too. icon_redface.gificon_mad.gif I am such a perfectionist when it comes to cake decorating! I hope your cake turns out beautiful anyway and that your re-make goes well! thumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:03am
post #15 of 29

Well, I had kind of cheated last night on the carving. I couldn't get the shape right, so I added "ribbons" of fondant around the base of the outside on the bottom to make it thicker. That was what the buldge was, so luckily, not cake! I think that cake itsself is still salvagable.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #16 of 29

I remember your thread about this customer wanting the cake EXACTLY like the picture, so fixing it was probably a good idea. I hope it all turns out okay!

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:57am
post #17 of 29

I really like it .but iam glad you fixed it because your customers talk and your reputation is at risk.

ladyonzlake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #18 of 29

I'm glad you decided to redo it. Your customer deserves a quality product. I know how it is...you're exhausted from doing it and the last thing you want to do is to redo it...I've been there. In the end you will be happier and your customer will LOVE it! It's a beautiful cake!

ladyonzlake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #19 of 29

I'm glad you decided to redo it. Your customer deserves a quality product. I know how it is...you're exhausted from doing it and the last thing you want to do is to redo it...I've been there. In the end you will be happier and your customer will LOVE it! It's a beautiful cake!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:47am
post #20 of 29

Summer can I just say it's a beautiful cake... and if it made you feel better to fix it then way to go!!! I think it is all a learning experience no matter how long you have done it icon_wink.gif

Beautiful cake and can't wait to see the fix icon_smile.gif

(just love all of your cakes though icon_biggrin.gif )

summernoelle Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #21 of 29

OK, here is take two. I am soooo glad I did the bottom tier again. Got up this morning and started over. Still not finished with it, but it is better!!!!
LL

ladyonzlake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #22 of 29

Yeahhh....Oh it looks AWSOME!!! thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #23 of 29

Ohhhh LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Summer!!!!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #24 of 29

AWESOME!!

I had a cake where the dowels slipped. They cracked the cake. Of course we were already at the delivery location. It was horrible.

Your cake is awesome!!! I am sure your client will LOVE it!

summernoelle Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #25 of 29

thanks everyone! I am pretty happy with it too!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

I remember your thread about this customer wanting the cake EXACTLY like the picture, so fixing it was probably a good idea. I hope it all turns out okay!

That's what I was thinking too. This lady wanted everything exactly like the sugarcreations cake. I'm glad you decided to fix it!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:40am
post #27 of 29

i agree. leave it.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #28 of 29

Oh man, that is gorgeous!! It was well worth the fix! Gorgeous work, as always!!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm
post #29 of 29

Smart move - it looks MUCH better! Can't wait to see how she likes it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%