My Mmf Is Too Dry!!! Help!!!!

Decorating By Guera Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm by lchristi27

Guera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Guera Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 6

i don't know what i did wrong, but my mmf is very dry and I can't extend it because it brakes and is dry and makes crumbs. I tried kneading it and add shortening and improved but still breaks. i tried adding water and had better texture anddidn't make crumb anymore, but flowers doesn't keep their shape. Pleas help!!! I have to use it today

5 replies
cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

try adding a few drops of glycerin to your fondant, it is sometimes hard to find, but the local cake spply shop here sells it, and i think micheals does too. also, i never make my flowers out of MMF, it has just never worked for me as far as holding shape. I just always use the Wilton fondant for flowers and I add a couple drops of flavoring such as almond or butter, it makes it taste a lot better. if you can't get that MMf fondant to work, I'd make it over, or just go buy some Wilton. I know it's not as good, but at last minute you have to do something, right?

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

I agree...try the glycerin. Also, I don't know what brand of Conf. Sugar and Marshmallows you use, but you may want to consider using a name brand. I find that when I have used the generic/store brands my MMF would turn out dry and unpredictable to work with. Good luck!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 6

I can't help you much after the fact, but I found that mine stretches better and doesn't break or crumble if I add the PS a certain way. I mix half of the PS with all the MM at first, then gradually add the rest of the PS one cup at a time. Doesn't sound like much difference, but it makes all the difference in the world as far as workability and texture.

HTH

Guera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Guera Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you everybody, I'll try with glycerin, because I didn't find any fondant at the 2 supply stores here in Tijuana, Mex., they run out of it and the funny thing is they didn't have any at Michaell's (in San Diego) either, LOL, that's why I had to try making it myself.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 6

Did you try to microwave it?? Dont do more than 5seconds though..it always softens up the mmf for me, once did 5 minutes by mistake and forgot what I was doing. BIG BAD MESS!!

Also, I rarely add the entire 2lb bag of ps, just get to a good consistency that is workable, not to soft, not to hard. Cover it with shortening, cover the glad wrap with shortening and let keep in a tupperware.
HOpe that helps..good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%