Calling All Ohio Decorators...

Business By Kathleen01 Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 1:48am by debster

Kathleen01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathleen01 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hello...I am looking for advice from fellow central/Ohio decorators. I have been toying with the idea to take my decorating more seriously. Right now, I only make cakes for friends and family. I really enjoy it!

I plan on taking classes at a local culinary school to increase my skills.

I have done my research about liscensing and found I am more interested in renting a kitchen (or eventually purchasing equipment and renting a small property) than participating in the Cottage law. I have no clue where to begin!!

My question...Where should I look for rental kitchens? And, can I get liscenced working in one? If not a rental kitchen, any other ideas?

I appreciate your help!! I absolutely adore cake decorating and want to be as successful as many of you are here!

Thank you!

3 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:34am
post #2 of 4

I work in a church kitchen in Toledo, OH. I'm considered a commercial bakery and that basically means I get to refrigerate items unlike the cottage food law bakers. Check VFW halls, bakers who stores close earlier, churches, banquet halls ...etc. Hopefully, one of them will be able to help you out.

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #3 of 4

Call the state dept of agriculture, they are very helpful (at least they were to me, I think it depends on who you get on the phone). Register your name so no one else gets it. Get a Tax ID #, that can be done right online (once your name is approved). Good luck!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:48am
post #4 of 4

Thanks can you pm me the number please, I'm just going into this process now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%