"unless You Want To Sell Them For Less?!!!"

Decorating By mommachris Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm by vteventrider

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #31 of 50

MIchelle....It sure seems like I remember it ... whether it was hearing the moms talk about DOING it ... or if they were just "remembering when...."

And guys .... for the record, I LUV getting older! I wouldn't go back to being in my 20's for nothing!! 40 was fabulous and 50 will be freakin' phenominal!!!! Look out world ... here I come!!!

and yep ... I stop dying my hair blonde (and I started dying my hair blonde when I was 12 years old) because I LIKE the gray!! My family keeps begging me to get a dye job, though!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #32 of 50

Oh Debbie, I think I'm making you older than you are. I'm sorry!

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:49am
post #33 of 50

I've been told I have an old soul.

I read once that Capricorn girls look like little old ladies when they are kids and they look like kids when they are little old ladies.

I just figure I"m heading for my 2nd childhood!! icon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:52am
post #34 of 50

I know what it is. You are our "cake mom" and so I compare you to my real mom. *trying to pry foot out of mouth at the same time digging herself out of hole*

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:12pm
post #35 of 50

Thanks so much for the kind words. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif
I don't have a business and I only make cakes when I want to or really like that person I am going to bless.
Winnie bought some cake truffles at a bake sale a couple of years ago and asked me to make her some. I try to follow the law which is why I did it only for cost.... as a favor.
It has come around to bite me in the butt so 'no more cake for you!"

As for the big family, it wasn't our original plan. We stopped at three. But God showed us that he had so much more planned for us that we opened up our hearts and let Him decide our family size.
Dh had a reversal and i have been pregnant 10 since then. God thinks big.

Just to answer the most commonly asked questions about large families:
We drive a 15 passenger van.
We spent about $1100 a month on groceries...I shop once a week.
The house is 2600 square feet. It was a pole barn that my husband converted into a home so the bedrooms are more like dorms...18x12 feet.
We camp when we go on vacation ( can you imagine taking 20 pairs of shoes somewhere...our luggage is action packers ( big tupperware)
No I have never left anyone behind...except Amy, but we had just left the parking lot so she never knew she was abandoned.
We did arrive at Walmart once and the five year old didn't have any shoes.

I'm no super woman. I have trained the older ones to be great helpers. The two teenage girls have even taken the 2 am feeding off my hands since I was bedridden for almost three months with this pregnancy. They are the sweetest girls. I am blessed to be their mom. I still need buckets of grace to parent just like any mom.

Homeschooling is still legal in California. I got a pm that mentioned the recent ruling in our courts.

This was longer than I intended. Guess I needed to share.
Thanks again for telling me I did the right thing with pricing.
And I have been enjoying those truffles...yummy little things aren't they?!

mommachris

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #36 of 50

I beg to differ... you are no SuperWoman... but you ARE a super woman! icon_wink.gif To bring that many children into the world and give them a decent upbringing is no easy task. Heck, some people can't even do it with one, so here's a boost from me to you! You go girl!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:31am
post #37 of 50

mommachris.... I just HAVE to see a picture of this pile of kiddies you have!!!!! It amazes me to see families this large and I love to watch that one show on TV where they all go to Sam's and spend like 1K on groceries.... and they camp just like you..... it isn't you is it??? I am proud (even though I don't know them) of your older girls stepping up to the plate, it shows 2 things, 1 you are an amazing mother who has raised them well, and 2. they will be amazing moms.... good on you! I know your daily prayers must be miles long when you thank God for your blessings... he truly has bestowed bountiful wisdom, strength, and patience upon you and has blessed your family with being so large.

I want 10 kids, but I feel nutso after this second one.... do you have any cures for that icon_smile.gif

sweetsbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbycheryl Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #38 of 50

Hey Indydebi-
Nice to hear you are a Capricorn too!! I hope that saying about us is true, because my "second childhood" is looming up fast too!! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:35pm
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsbycheryl

Hey Indydebi-
Nice to hear you are a Capricorn too!! I hope that saying about us is true, because my "second childhood" is looming up fast too!! icon_biggrin.gif

Heck, I'm banking on it!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:01pm
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Calling all other "older" CC'ers!!! Remember the price freeze during the Nixon administration? I was a kid but I remember all (and I mean ALL!)

Ok, now I am sure that I am older than "dirt"... icon_cry.gif I realized many years ago that the reason my grandma's recipes were not working was because that the "can" of evaporated milk she used was bigger than todays icon_surprised.gif ... and that everytime a box has "new and improved" stamped on it, it means less product=more money for the mfg.... a box of DH cake mix used to actually fill 2 - 8" rounds icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
Wisdom is great thing.. I wish I had acquired it sooner icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

.... the reason my grandma's recipes were not working was because that the "can" of evaporated milk she used was bigger than todays

Oh, that is funny!!! icon_lol.gif

But as a side topic, it's also a VERY good illustration of one of my pet peeves ... recipes that are written with directions of "one capful" or "one can" of something. Did they mean the 14oz can of green beans that serves 3? Or the #10 can of green beans that serves 24? Recipes need to be spelled out in detail.

We have a funny story that runs in my hubby's family. There was a guy who used to work for his dad who told hubby (when hubby was a kid) to go get him a gallon of water. Hubby gets a one-gallon bucket and brings him the water. The old guy starts yelling at hubby, "I didn't mean a LITTLE gallon of water! I need one of them BIG gallons of water!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:19pm
post #42 of 50

Oh Debi, that is hysterical!! I hate when I get the wrong size gallon!

On that same note, it's almost impossible to get a 'recipe' out of my mother. She just has no clue! I mean, I am an inventive cook and know how to just take 'stuff' and turn it into great food, but you have to have a general idea of what you've done, especially if you've made it four thousand times!! "You know, put some flour in it... til it feels right." Ok, would that be like a cup to a cup and a half, or more like 6 cups? Just give me a ROUGH idea please!! But she is totally clueless. She's lucky she could pass for a Marilyn Monroe look-alike or she'd never have made it this far! icon_lol.gif Just teasing!! But sometimes I think she got all the looks and none of the brain.

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:26pm
post #43 of 50
Quote:

"I didn't mean a LITTLE gallon of water! I need one of them BIG gallons of water!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Exactly~! All my grandma's recipes were that way. Now, DH's grandma's recipes are really hysterical...... They start out: Pick the corn before the dew settles, and .... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But, I'm here to tell you, she made the very best sweet creamed corn ever~!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:27pm
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

"You know, put some flour in it... til it feels right."

Gee, you say that like it's a BAD thing! icon_rolleyes.gif

My kids say the same thing. Oldest daughter says, "(My husband) is the only one who can makes mom's meatloaf." Son-in-law says, "I think it's because I'm the only one who can figure out how much "a sh*tload of ketchup" is!"

It's easy.....hold the bottle upside down over the hamburger in the bowl. GIve the bottle a big squirt. No, a BIG squirt!! Until you have a sh*tload of ketchup in there. Mix well. Now WHO can't follow a recipe like that! icon_biggrin.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #45 of 50

*grin* I make (apparently) world-class deviled eggs. When we do our medieval re-enactment stuff, I make upwards of 100 of them for a one-day event, just for hospitality. I had someone once ask for the recipe, since she wanted to make them and I wasn't going to be at the event (and I couldn't make them because I'd just had surgery!). I completely blanked. I told her, "I dunno... you just mush up the yellows until they're all powdery, then squirt in a bunch of mustard and mayo, salt and pepper, and mix it. When you taste it, if it's too dry, you add more." "More of what?" "Whatever's missing... mustard or mayo. But not too much, or it'll be soupy."

She ended up bringing cookies... icon_razz.gif

So yeah... guilty as charged...

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #46 of 50
Quote:

"I think it's because I'm the only one who can figure out how much "a sh*tload of ketchup" is!"

hummm.... looking up "sh*tload" in Webster's.... there it is; "somewhere between that's not enough, and that's too much" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:44pm
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

She ended up bringing cookies... icon_razz.gif

Now that was smart on her part icon_lol.gif She knew she could never pull it off as well as you did~! icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #48 of 50

Oh my God Doni, I think you're using my recipe for deviled eggs!!! icon_wink.gif That's one of those dishes where I do a squirt of this, a pinch of that... hmmmmm... it needs more... yah, some of that! Etc. Too funny! But most things I cook, I have a basic, general idea of how to translate it into 'actual recipe'. icon_wink.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm
post #49 of 50

recipe...we don't need no stinking recipe.....
Add me to the list of 'how it looks or feels' cooks.

My dd (17) asked me how much salsa to add to a Mexican casserole I have been making for like 20 years. Had to tell her to add it to the mayo until it made the color of thousand island dressing- orangy- icon_redface.gif

It all depends you know on how much meat you started with, you can't using measuring cups. icon_wink.gif

Hey, when i got married all I knew how to make was Ragu spaghetti, Shake-n-bake chicken and fried pork chops. Poor husband.

At least she is trying to learn how to cook. Kudos to her.

mommachris

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #50 of 50

Y'all are killing me. icon_biggrin.gif A little of this and some of that and if you like something else then just swap them is how I was taught to cook by my Grandmothers. They taught me really young cause my mom can't cook and they knew I would need to cook dinner for the family. Now my MIL comes over and she gets all pissy cause she can't cook so she won't eat whatever I cook cause she hates that I can cook and don't follow recipes. Oh well...it is nice to know that other people use measurements like "until it looks right" and "a s-load of something" as these are very scientific measurements in my mind thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%