A Stitching Wheel? Where Can I Find One?

Decorating By LeckieAnne Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 12:31am by minorfan

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a baby block cake next week looks like the Baby Einstein fabric blocks -- saw one someone else did, and I see the stitching marks I keep reading people use a stitching wheel to get.

What is this, and where do I find one?

Thanks for your help!!

7 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 8

You can get one on GSA or intotheoven.com.. but you can also go to the sewing section in wal mart or Hobby Lobby and find a stitching wheel icon_smile.gif (just keep it used for cakes) icon_smile.gif

HTH's

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 8

If it's the one I think it is, you can find it with the sewing stuff in Wal-mart etc, but it isn't called a stitching wheel. It's the one you use when marking fabric with carbon paper. It looks like a little boot spur at the end of a stick/handle. I never thought about using mine for anything other than sewing. HTH

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 8

I got mine at Wal Mart. It's a dressmaker's pattern wheel.

LeckieAnne Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 8

Great! Thanks. I'll stop on my way home! Can't wait to try it out.

I saw also where people use them to put the stitching along the edge of ribbon (and bows) to make them look more real.

LeckieAnne Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 8

Great! Thanks. I'll stop on my way home! Can't wait to try it out.

I saw also where people use them to put the stitching along the edge of ribbon (and bows) to make them look more real.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #7 of 8

Wilton makes a set with a straight cutting wheel and a couple of patterned wheels. There is storage in the handle of the unit for the two wheels not in use, while the third wheel is placed on the handle for use.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #8 of 8

I too use a pattern wheel (stitching wheel) it is used to mark where darts go on dresses with the carbon paper.

It works wonders , metal and makes perfect stitch marks, also got another one with out the stars tips that is a smaller version of a pizza wheel and cuts small items so much better than the wilton fondant wheel.

Also got an herb cutter in the kitchen department which has 8 of these wheels and makes perfect linguine size strips for use in decorations. I dont have to measure anything.

I am always on the look out for different things to use that are not "fondant " tools to use in cake decorating. I love wandering thru home depo and lowes as well as kitchen gadget stores for things that can be used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%