Groom's Cake Question

Decorating By twomonkeys Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:29am by andpotts

twomonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twomonkeys Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:51am
post #1 of 8

Is there a Rule of Thumb about the number of servings for a groom's cake in comparison to the number of servings in the wedding cake? I've been asked to do my first groom's cake and the bride isn't sure how big the groom's cake should be. She says the wedding cake is going to serve 75. The groom's cake will be at the reception along with the wedding cake and not at the rehearsal dinner.

Thanks!!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:59am
post #2 of 8

I've seen some websites in which the caterer requires the grooms cake to be the same size as the wedding cake (75 servings each); I've seen them require a 50% serving size (100 for wedding cake; 50 for grooms cake).

I've never seen a big groom's cake. They are usually token cakes and to be honest, I've only seen 2 of them actually cut at the wedding. Most serve 15-30.

Ask the bride. How many servings does she want in the wedding cake ... how many servings does she want in the grooms cake? There is no rule.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #3 of 8

My friend did enough servings for 3/4 of her guests for her wedding cake and the other 1/4 for the grooms cake. I know I love chocolate much better. Both of her cakes were gone by the end.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #4 of 8

I usually ask my brides what they want. But, for the most part at our church (where I do all my wedding and groom's cakes) I do 1/2 and 1/2 if the groom's cake is chocolate (our church has a HUGE chocolate addiction problem! LOL). For other flavors I'll do 3/4 wedding and 1/4 groom's.

Beth in KY

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:17am
post #5 of 8

Most of my wedding cakes have at least one tier of chocolate, so having chocolate is never a problem. Heck, I'd be so happy if I could do a cake that was all one flavor once....just once... this year!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:25am
post #6 of 8

I'm doin' a SUPER yummy Triple Chocolate Marshmallow Mocha cake for a friend's birthday this week! I think since the birthday "boy" (age 70 yrs) LOVES Oreo cookies I'm going to do an Oreo cookie filling. It makes my teeth hurt to think about it! LOL

twomonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twomonkeys Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:59am
post #7 of 8

Ok, so o no rule of thumb. Usually around there the Groom's cake is served at the Rehearsal dinner, but they aren't having a Rehearsal dinner. He still wanted His cake and they are going to have it at the reception. It's a Marlin of all things. Yikes. I said, "you're talking about the big ocean fish and not Nemo's dad, right?" She didn't get it. <sigh>

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:29am
post #8 of 8

[quote= It's a Marlin of all things. Yikes. I said, "you're talking about the big ocean fish and not Nemo's dad, right?" She didn't get it. <sigh>[/quote]

twomonkeys, that made me laugh, some people icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%