Making Navy Color...

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:12pm by redhare

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone made navy blue by mixing royal blue and black for fondant?

Were the results satisfactory?

It is a cake for my niece - a family party - so it doesn't have to be PERFECT, but I also don't want to toss out a batch of MMF and start all over.

7 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure, but I'd only add black a teeny bit at a time. Americolor makes Navy gel color.

MacsMom Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:56am
post #3 of 8

Yeah, I just found out that if you want navy you should buy navy.

CC went down right after I asked this ? so I went ahead and did royal and black: Half a jar of blue later and 4 drops of black it still wasn't dark enough. I went to Michael's to see if Wilton had navy but I could find "dark blue" in a spider man set. I'm going to try adding it my blue blob later tonight.

I wish there a store in town that carried Americolor! Going to order from GSA very soon...

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #4 of 8

Navy is hard to acheive even when you purchase "Navy" color. I did a US Navy cake which of course needed navy coloring in the fondant and I ended up using my Navy Americolor plus some black fondant.
LL

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:28am
post #5 of 8

you can also try sky blue, purple and tiny bits of black icon_smile.gif i know it seems weird..but the high school colors here are Navy and after tons of trials that seemed to work the best....best of luck! icon_smile.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 8

I always add a little violet to royal blue to get a navy color. The icing needs to set over night to darken.

MacsMom Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 8

Okay. I haven't kneaded in the dark blue yet, so I'll add some violet, too (and probably more black).

Hey wait! I just remembered that I have a dark blue luster dust! I think I'll just do that, instead... much easier. I use it for denim on cowboy cakes, it's perfect!

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 8

I just did this yesterday for a basketball jersey cake. I did royal blue w/ a little black didn't like the results so added brown then just kept adding blue w/ a lil brown until I got it. I love how it turned out...

Of course when I tried the same technique trying to make navy w/ bc icing it didn't work icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%