Can't Open Home Business...options?

Business By bethneebabe Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 11:51pm by GeminiRJ

bethneebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethneebabe Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 4

Sooo....I love cake decorating and would love to have a small business on the side at home but I can't get my kitchen certified because in PA you can't have any animals in the house and I just couldn't give up my babies. Having an 'under the table' business like a lot of people have isn't an option since my husband is in law school and says under no circumstances could I run an illegal business from our apartment. I don't know if I want to go gung-ho into a business anyways. I don't have a big enough possible customer base to warrant renting out a church or other space. Any ideas?

3 replies
poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 4

You can check into renting a shared kitchen space. Not sure if your state has one of those commerical kitchens that rent out by the hour or month.

Another option is to appraoch a restaurant and see if they will rent you space when they are closed. You can work out deals such as paying by the hour, month or exchanging a few cakes for their business.

Churchs, community centers, VFW.

Just a few ideas.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 4

I have a caterer friend who made an arrangement with a church. SHe cleans their church for no salary .... they let her use the kitchen for no rent.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 4

What about working for a catering company or small bakery? Sometimes it's better to be the employee than the boss! You get the experience, don't have the business headache, and if you don't like quit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%